Oh Brother

Based on the request by redWinter17

Gabriel and archangel!reader friendship

Words: 1100+

The number of archangels has always been debated. As far as the Winchesters and most of Heaven knew, there were four.

Michael, The Sword. The eldest of the archangels, loyal to his father. A soldier, a commander, a powerful force to be reckoned with. His true vessel was Dean Winchester.

Lucifer, The Light-bringer. Next of the archangels, rebelling against his family. Creator of Hell, trapped in the Cage. He sought Sam Winchester to possess.

Raphael, The Healer. Third of the archangels, with a need to follow the rules. Destiny is destiny. Their true vessel is unknown.

Gabriel, The Messenger. Youngest of the archangels, seeking out a new life. Siding with neither Heaven nor Hell. Aliases include Loki, or the Trickster.

Four was incorrect. There was one more: Y/N.

Little about Y/N was known to the world, very little. They were the fifth of the archangels, the true youngest. They were often referred to as The Muse. Music, art, poetry, dancing, comedy, food, theatre, love, and so much more. Those seeking creativity or inspiration could pray to Y/N. Y/N was the bringer  of all things worth living for.

"Art-angel." Gabriel used to call you.

After Y/N left heaven, tired of destiny, tired of the fighting, they became a myth to angels. A story to humans. A ghost to their brothers. And a quest for Gabriel.

"Look at it, brother." You said to him once. "Look at this world father has created. It's beautiful."

Gabriel sat next to you in Heaven and nodded.

"And its people..." You sighed.

"Humans are lost." Gabriel murmured. "Lucifer thinks they're a mistake."

"They're lost, that's why they need guidance. From us." Your face fell a little. "I don't want to help rule Heaven, Gabriel."

"Then what would you do?"

"I'd run away. I'd explore this world and help the humans. I'd make my own destiny." You explained to your older brother. "I'll be free."

Gabriel never saw you again. His younger sibling slipped from his grasp, leaving him with his brothers in "paradise".

So much had happened since then. But now he'd faked his death, Gabriel had all the time in the world to search for you. 

-_-_-_-_-

You'd tried many vessels throughout your immortal life. Your current one had to be your favourite so far. You admired them in the mirror, pulling on an outfit for a new day. Sure, you could just snap your fingers and get it done with in a second, but sometimes the human way was more fun.

Things like standing there in pyjamas to pick out an outfit, taking a nice shower, eating a really good meal, walking along a scenic route, some things were better done like a human.

You stretched, and spread your wings. Bright white feathers, unseen by human eyes, cloaked them. When the light hit the feathers, they reflected all the colours of a rainbow. You folded them up against your back and got ready to face the day.

-_-_-_-_-

On the other side of the world, your father used his own name in vain. "God damn it! I- uh... me damn it? Or would it be I damn it?" Chuck contemplated, snapping his fingers and re-creating the broken mug. "Oh well. It hath been damned!" He said jokingly.

God shuffled back to his desk, shark slippers squeaking on the floorboards. "How come I'm funny when nobody's around to hear it?"

"Oh, so I'm nobody now?" Gabriel suddenly announced.

Chuck dropped his mug and swore again. "That's it, I'm gluing this mug to my hand." He muttered. He looked up at his son, who'd just suddenly arrived. "Hello, Gabriel."

"Dad," Gabe said, leaning against a wall and taking in his surroundings. "Long time no see."

Chuck walked into his living room, his son following closely behind him. "How'd you find me?"

Gabriel shrugged. "Loose-lipped Winchesters."

"Ah." Chuck said, sitting down on the sofa. He patted the spot next to him, and Gabriel sat. "I suppose you've got a lot of questions."

"Just one."

"Oh?"

"What happened to Y/N?" Gabriel asked.

The name of his youngest archangel made Chuck's hands start shaking. "Gabriel-"

"Dad, it's been hundreds of years since we last talked! I want to know they're alright!" The archangel exclaimed.

"Y/N's safe." Chuck disclosed. "I can get you a location but-"

"You knew?" Gabriel interrupted. "You knew where Y/N was and you've never done anything?!"

"Of course I knew, I'm omniscient! All knowing!" Chuck cried.

Gabriel rose from his seat and glared at God. "Then why didn't you do anything?!"

"Because Y/N didn't want me to!" Chuck yelled, rising as well. Despite his short stature, power radiated off him. "You think you know everything about your sibling? Y/N wanted to leave."

"And you let them?" Gabe questioned.

"Of course I did! As much as it hurt it was time to let go." Chuck's hands were trembling again. He shrunk back down into his seat, resuming the aura of a tired author. "It was time to let Y/N do their own thing."

Gabriel sat back down, slightly ashamed of what he said to his father. "I'm sorry." He apologised.

"Don't be." Chuck replied. "I haven't exactly been there for any of you. I'm the one who should be sorry."

"But you were right; it was time to let go. I left Heaven as well, and I turned out great!" Gabe commented. Chuck let out a soft snort, and Gabriel smiled. As angry as he was with his father, he hated seeing him upset.

Chuck took a pen and a scrap bit of paper , and wrote something down. "Y/N's current address. It's warded, so be careful."

"Careful is my middle name."

"You don't have a middle name, Gabriel."

-_-_-_-_-

You sat on your back porch, enjoying the view. Winter was quickly approaching, but the chill never bothered you. You could walk up Everest in short and a t-shirt like it was a Sunday stroll. Temperature meant nothing to you.

You sipped your coffee when someone knocked on your door. You set the cup down to go answer it.

A man leaned in the door-frame, small smile on his face. His golden eyes lit up when he saw you. His wings... they were golden, just like Gabriel's.

"You've got a new vessel." The archangel commented. "It suits you."

"Same goes for you, brother." You replied. You looked Gabriel up and down. He still sported that smirk, the same glint in his eyes. But there was something about him. He held such pain. You missed him so much, it had always stung that you had to leave your older brother behind.

You gestured for him to enter your house and follow you. You both sat outside, and Gabriel summoned himself a coffee too. "So," You said to him. "Let's talk."