The Write Choice

Soulmate AU

"Gabriel, for the last time, go wash your hands. Your aunt is coming over, I need you to look presentable." Chuck sighed. As a single father, getting all four of his kids ready was as easy as herding cats.

There were five in the Shurley family. Chuck was an author, who couldn't find the right girl or guy to settle down with. He was lonely and wanted a family, so he turned to adoption.

Michael was the eldest, at seventeen. He and his twin brother, Lucifer, were taken in by Chuck when they were still very young. Both squabbled non-stop, Mike often using leverage of how he was five minutes older to annoy Lucifer. Both had light blonde hair and piercing blue eyes.

Next came Raphael, a sensible young girl, at sixteen years of age. With darker hair and skin, she stood out from the rest of the family. Although she loved them, schoolwork and a career were far more important than "quality time".

The youngest was Gabriel, the latest addition to the family. He was fifteen, with caramel-blonde hair and whiskey eyes. The trouble maker of the pack, and the reason there was never any junk food in the house.

"Gabe, did you hear me?" Chuck repeated, his voice a lot less soft this time. "Wash hands. Now."

Gabriel scrambled off the sofa and ran upstairs, reappearing at the dinner table. He waited while his father welcomed Amara in, absentmindedly playing with his cutlery.

Everyone in the Shurley family sat down to eat when Chuck glanced at his son's hand.

"Gabe, I thought I told you to wash your hands!" Charles hissed, trying his best not to throw a scene.

"But I did! I swear!" Gabriel argued.

"What's with the writing then?"

"What writing?!"

Chuck opened his mouth to tell his son off when his eyes darted once again to Gabe's hands.

Letters in black marker were etched across his hand. But the thing was, they just kept appearing there, like and invisible hand was tattooing the young boy with a permanent marker.

"Pg 126"

Chuck looked across the room, everyone else was either eating or staring at them. "A-Amara, could you excuse us for a minute?" He stammered.

His older sister nodded as Mr. Shurley practically dragged his son out the room.

"Dad I didn't write this!" Gabriel pleaded.

"Calm down. I know." Chuck sighed. He pinched the bridge of his nose and continued. "Son, you've got a soulmate."

Gabe was speechless for a minute. "Is that...is this a bad thing?" He whispered.

"No. No! It's just very rare." Chuck replied.

The youngest brother nodded. "So...what's that supposed to be?"

"It's like a bond between two people. A weird genetic mutation where any type of ink shows up on either party's skin." Chuck tried his best to explain the concept. "Very few have it. But it's like some sort of mating system. I think it can be passed on by parents to their children."

Gabriel looked at his dad with confusion. "...Huh?"

"You write things on your skin, your soulmate sees. Vice versa." Was the simplified version. "Now come on, time to eat." Chuck led his son back into the kitchen.

-_-_-_-_-

You'd lost yet another bookmark. Not wanting to dog-ear the page, you grabbed a sharpie and wrote down the number of the last page you'd been reading: Pg 126

When you got back to your book, you checked your hand to remember the page. What was odd was the writing in blue pen underneath it.

"Hello?"

You sure as hell didn't write that. Maybe it was... oh. Your parents told you about this before. Could this be your soulmate? It was worth a shot. You picked the marker up again and replied.

"Hi"

This was ridiculous. You couldn't have a-

"My name's Gabriel." The words wrote themselves along your forearm.

"I'm Y/N. Are you my soulmate?"

"I think so. I'm new at this."

"Me too." You wrote back. "It's nice to meet you, Gabe." Were you moving forwards to quickly? Nicknames already?! What if they didn't write back-

"Nice to meet you too. I'm looking forwards to meeting you."

-_-_-_-_-

You looked down at your hand, the address and time Gabriel wanted to meet you at. "Roadhouse diner, 12:00."

You waited patiently in your seat for the mystery date, drumming your fingers on the table.

"Pardon me, are you Y/N?"

You looked up at the caramel-haired guy who couldn't have been much older than you. "That depends. Who's asking?" You said, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm Gabriel," He replied, doing an over dramatic bow. "At your service."

You liked this kid already. "Well, Gabriel. Looks like we're soulmates."

-_-_-_-_-

The two of you really hit things off. Gabriel was sweet and very funny. You met his crazy family, and he yours. You him dated throughout high school and college, with very few fights.

Messages were exchanged through the soulmate system. Little I love yous, notes for each other, and little private love letters.

Very few others had this gift, so the two of you used it to your advantage.

That was how Gabriel proposed. One moment you're reading, the next you notice the black ink crawling up your arm.

An oval, a little tail, and a face. A fish... no a whale! And then a message:

"Whale you marry me?"

Your hands were trembling so much, you could barely hold a pen to write a shaky reply.

"Yes."

-_-_-_-_-

Gabriel was working late at the candy store again. Business was slow, but Gabe needed to cover this shift. He kept glancing at the picture of you he kept taped to the cash register, wishing he was home with you. He groaned again when he felt the familiar pins-and-needles feeling; you were writing a message.

The youngest Shurley almost tripped over his feet, running to the bathroom. He lifted his shirt up, and tried to pinpoint where you were writing. Gabriel's eyes light up when he saw what had been written across his stomach.

"I'm pregnant."