Guardian

Based on the request by magicar

Words: 2200+

When you were little you had an imaginary friend. It was a little concerning that he was back. And real.

As a kid you were often lonely. An only child born to busy parents with very few friends.

Your parents loved you even if they didn't show it often. Your father was a surgeon, often spending late nights at the hospital. Your mother was an important executive of an insurance company,  often called away to far off meetings.

They didn't have much time for you and you learned to live without them. When most kids were learning their ABCs you were learning how to work the DVDs. When most kids were reading small paperbacks you were reading the back of pizza boxes. You cooked for yourself, made your own lunches and put yourself to bed. It was a boring routine life...until the break in.

You were sat in front of the TV with a small bowl of leftover mac'n'cheese in your lap. You couldn't have been older than five.

Spongebob was just about to catch a jellyfish when there arose a loud "CRASH" in the kitchen. You grabbed the closest thing to you that you could use as a weapon (an umbrella) and snuck towards the source of the noise.

There was a figure standing in the kitchen, right by the patio door. The glass had been smashed yet none of it was inside, as if it had been broken outwards.

You ran in, ignoring the sharp pain that ran up your leg when you stepped on a shard of glass. You stood up to the figure and hit him repeatedly with the umbrella.

"Hey! Be careful!" The voice exclaimed. "You trying to get yourself killed?"

You slowly peeled open your eyes. A man with whiskey eyes and golden-brown hair held the end of your makeshift weapon.

"I'm not here to hurt you." He said in a soft voice. "My name's Gabriel, what's yours?"

Rule 1: Don't talk to strangers. "Y/N." You whispered. Welp, there goes rule one.

"Okay Y/N. Have you heard strange noises from the basement?"

You nodded. "There's a monster. Daddy says it's just the furnace but it's not." You glanced over at the basement door to find it in pieces.

The man had shards of glass and splinters all over him as if he'd been thrown through the door and out into the backyard.

"Well, turns out you're right. There's a monster in your basement and I'm here to make him go away. It's called a ghoul but I prefer to call him Mister Meanie Pants. Makes him sound less scary." The man told you.

You giggled at the nickname and saw his eyes light up when you did.

"So you wait up here and I'll go get rid of Mister Meanie Pants. Promise you'll stay safe?" He asked.

You nodded again. "Pinky promise." You held out your little finger and the man shook it with his.

He gave you a quick wink and walked back downstairs. You hopped up on the kitchen counter to examine the pain in your little foot. A few crashes and a flash of light later, Gabriel walked back up to you.

"No more monster?" You inquired.

"No more monster." He replied. His brow creased as he looked at your bleeding foot. "Did you hurt yourself?"

Tears were slowly forming in your eyes as you uttered a small "Yes".

He walked closer to you, knelt down and held it gently in his hand. You winced as he plucked out the glass shard. "I'll kiss it better."