Cedric Diggory

You soared through the air, a wind created by your flight blowing back your hair and robes. You swirled through the common room on your broom. It was against school rules but who cares? Today was one of the worst days yet and you needed something to distract you. The exhilarating flight throughout the confined room combined with the nervous ticking of your heart at the idea of getting caught brought happiness to your gloomy day quickly. Students from below you shouted and laughed as you flew above and created a draft of wind blowing their robes back and forth. In the midst of the laughter and complaints there was a loud bang. A scratching thump of the portrait sliding against the stone floor and stopping against the inner wall.

"Have you come to join the party?" Called out a young first year as she giggled.

"We should give it a go!" Said a young man to his companion beside him.

"I will not have any more silliness!" The familiar voice resounded against the stone walls and shook the floors, and students, with fear.

Professor Sprout's boots beat against the floor swiftly and you panicked. Your broom froze in flight and you looked towards the dark hole where her footsteps came from. Students rushed away to avoid trouble and you tried to do the same. Fleeing in a blur of black and yellow robes, and a dark red broom, you went to the nearest escape route. The closest exit being a stairwell.

"Get down here now before I must dock points," She stopped moving and, hands on hips, called impatiently up to the stairwell.

You hovered uncomfortably in the cramped area, just halfway up the spiral stairs. After a few moments of your broom shakily wildly, your breath hitched in your throat, and your heartbeat leaping even more than your broom, the footsteps started again. Professor Sprout angrily trudged up the stairs, her boots even louder than before. Quickly, you pushed your broom up the stairs. The professor's footsteps louder and louder as echos in your ear. Quicker and quicker they came through the air, matching the increasing pace of your panicked heartbeat. She would be here in seconds, so your pounding heart and churning stomach seemed to say. Who knew so much excitement could turn into panic so quickly.

Professor Sprout seemed to know. "Come down now and you will not be punished. Be honest and rewarded. Come off your broom before you make a mess."

No turning back. Besides, there was a still a chance. The stairwell was the only way out. Well, the only conventional way. You flew to the top of the stairs but did not dismount. The doors of the boys dormitories were all the same, red, furnished, labeled with small golden numbers that were blurred by your nerves. 206, the second floor, third door on the right. You were on the fourth floor, at the top of the staircase. Sprout was close below, certainly not below the second floor. There was no room other than 206 which would let you in, and that was the only way you were getting away from this situation.

Taking a nervous, shaking breath, and trying to tune out the footsteps and shouts of confused people from your ears. You gripped your broom again with sweaty palms, and in the moment of panic you had an odd feeling. You smiled. Flying was fun after all, it had been the best thing for making you happy, and even in an inescapable situation, you were going to have fun.

The wind created by your flight blew back your hair and robes, and threw Professor Sprout's hat right off her grey hair as you whizzed past. You couldn't help but laugh. She didn't deserve such torture, but you were enjoying yourself far too much. She whirled around, confused, and babbled a yell. "Stop yourself this instant!"

The second floor was in sight and you rushed down the hall, nearly missing room 206. But you stopped in your tracks as you flew past an open door with a curious, and slightly annoyed, handsome face.