Neville x Reader (College AU)

Requested by: AuChaton805

Like most days, the shop is empty. You lean on the counter, a textbook laid out and a highlighter in hand. Your music blocks out all distractions, a study playlist running on repeat. You don't notice when the songs start repeating themselves, even though there are hours worth of music of the playlist. You're too lost in your textbook, hanging on every word as your eyes pass over them. Your highlighter flicks across the page and you continue on, whispering to yourself as the words pass. 

You don't notice when the door opens and the bell rings. Hesitant footsteps made it across the tiled floor, stopping silently at the cashier. You continue to tap your pen on the counter, muttering about Henry VIII.

Only when you hear a voice behind you do you turn around. You take out your headphones and see a man at the counter, smiling sheepishly. Your boss is standing in front of you, hands on hips. She looks angry.

You turn a deep red. "Studying again (Y/N)?" She looks over at your open books. "You're here to work. Your first priority is the customers."

You nod sheepishly and rush over to the cashier. "Oh it's no trouble," The man says, looking past you and at your boss. "I haven't been here long."

She scoffs and turns back to the kitchen. "If I catch you slacking off one more time (Y/N) you're fired. Do you hear me?"

"Loud and clear ma'am," You say as you turn to him. "I'm really sorry about that. No one comes in on Mondays."

He turns red. "The shop I usually go to is closed," He says. "I need cookies to live."

You can't help but laugh. "Well then, what can I get you sir?"

"Neville," He says. "Call me Neville."

Your brow furrows. "I've been hearing a lot of that name recently. Must be a lot of Neville's in these parts."

Neville's brow furrows and he runs his hand through his hair. "I've never heard of someone else with my name."

You purse your lips and tap them with your finger. "I don't know much about them besides their name, oh and my roommate said he was rather cute."

"Probably not me then."

You aren't sure what to say. He's isn't your typical type, but there's some intriguing in his eyes. Definitely not who your roommate described, but certainly attractive.

He opens his mouth to say something then closes it again.

"Anyway," You say. "What can I get you?"

"Half a dozen chocolate chip cookies," He smiles.

"Our specialty," You flash him a charming smile and it does just the trick. He can't seem to blink as you turn away from him to grab some cookies from the glass case. 

"D-Do you sell tea as well?"

You set the brown bag of cookies on the counter. "Of course! This is Britain after all."

"You never know."

"What kind of tea do you drink?"

"Blackberry, if you wouldn't mind,"

"Of course not. That is my job after all."

You set his steam cup of tea on the counter besides his cookies and ring up the cashier. He doesn't speak as you punch in each number, biting your lip as you navigate the touch screen. You accept the cash from him with a courteous smile. It quickly widens when he drops an extra bill into the tip jar.