Fantastic Beasts x Reader

(A/N Sorry it's not a part 3 of the last one, that will be up soon though. I really wanted to write a Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them story. Spoilers ahead!!)

"But why me?" You begged. Your hands clenched into angry fists descending in agony from your face to your stomach as you looked up towards the ceiling. 

"Because I said so," He countered, feeling more and more frustrated by the minute.

"I didn't sign up for this!"

"Neither did I," He said. "Now sign the paper."

"Why do I have to be the one to break you out of jail?" You whined, starting to sound more and more frightened by the minute. 

"Because I said so!" He repeated. He was almost yelling now, and there was a commotion in the distance. You froze up and he turned around to say something but you'd cut the line.

You shrank back against the wall. You had to break him out, but you didn't want to. You were almost tempted to just leave him. But if he ever did break out, he'd be coming after you first. You had contacted him through a communication spell. He was locked in a place where he couldn't perform magic, but you knew a dark form of magic that could counter the guards around him. That meant they'd be coming after you. The ones who'd locked him up. They could track you with that spell. You had risked your life casting that sort of magic, but it was even more of a risk to face his wrath.

Gellert Grindelwald. With his fiery white topped hair and deadly disposition. He'd spent weeks hunting down a member of the ministry, eventually kidnapping him and using him for a polyjuice potion. Then impersonating him. And you were sad to say you'd been part of his plan. An accomplice from the beginning. Teased into the actions that lead to the deaths of many, including a boy named Creedence. Someone you'd grown fond towards in the weeks Grindelwald was using him for information.

You weren't cut out for this business. Not anymore. In the beginning, you were one of the best. Doing what you thought was right, which sometimes included murder. You were a master in dark magic and in the underground world one of the most feared people alive. To both wizards and no-majs. You were a notorious witch, though no one had figured out you were working for Grindelwald yet. You only started doing that recently. Only when he rose to a power that not even you and your team could face. In the no-maj world, you were a dangerous gangster. Of course the various mob groups thought you were a man through clever magic, but that made you no less fierce. It only got you an edge. It was the 1920s. But you didn't mind it. Taking on a new persona was exciting. Studying men on the street and in private to learn just how to act. 

You were the perfect pawn. You had ties all over the city, giving Grindelwald leverage. And you had power. You had a group of no-majs following your every word and various gangs that worked independently but were so terrified they cowered to you. You had wizards with all sorts of experience in all varieties. 

There was Mary, who did the dirty work. Head trauma from falling off a building left her with severe brain damage. She lost her ability to read, but what Grindelwald was more interested in was her emotional response. She was a sociopath. She mainly kept to herself, but plenty of food, housing, and money kept her loyal. She didn't visit often. Only when she was called upon. Only when someone needed to be tortured. She was an expert in that. Using both magic and physical violence to torture people to the brink of their mental capacity.

There was Sparks, who spent day and night brewing. New and old potions. Deadly and curing potions. All kinds, every kind. Anything he could get his hands on he put in a cauldron. For that reason, he had quite a few nasty scars from various explosions.

The rest of them were unknown to you. New people who had been brought on from Grindelwald. They were all powerful, which you could tell. But they were scared. Whether they were scared of you or Grindelwald you didn't know, but it made you shiver. They could read you with only a glance. They could see you fear and would jump in at any opportunity to undermine you. You'd lost a couple of them to duels, between you and them of course. You didn't tolerate any fighting among your team. Anyone who dared to would be met with a fight with you, and those always ended the same. Grindelwald took duels very seriously. Fight until the death, he would say. You'd been in three duels with your team members, and you were still standing. What happened to the losers kept other contenders at bay.