Neville Longbottom x Christina Homes

Requested by: @RavenclawC

(A/N 4k reads! It's amazing! I've had my doubts and insecurities about this story. It's not as popular as some other stories I read, and it certainly didn't climb in read numbers quickly. But I'm proud of it. I'm happy with what I've made. And I am VERY happy with all my amazing readers! You guys bring happiness to my days just by reading and letting me see that number of reads rise on my page. I love you all so much, and I will be better at being a better author and writing more often. Weekly updates will most likely happen, with some exceptions when life gets hectic.)

Quiet was the warm common room. A crackle of a flame and the shuffle of nervous feet were oddly loud in her ears. A thumping of footsteps was heard above, quiet people moving about in their dorm rooms. Christina couldn't return to her dormitory, her roommates were doing something she wasn't supposed to be involved in. She wasn't sure what it was, but they were rather serious about it. The only other person in the common room was Neville, and she didn't know why he still stayed there. It certainly wasn't for her, he had avoided all eye contact and conversation was handled nervously. Her stomach churned horribly in the awkward air, and not a word would come out of her dry lips. A book sat beside her, Introduction To Latin, a textbook her parent had sent her for Christmas just a week ago. Christina had spent the break at Hogwarts, her family couldn't afford her trip home.

Neville looked towards the book awkwardly, then when she caught him, he looked back at his hands. "What's that?" He asked, voice strained and quiet.

"A muggle book," Christina said simply. "My parents want me to keep up with muggle curriculum."

"That must be hard."

"Only because Hogwarts doesn't teach muggle subjects," She said. "Even though it means muggle born magic folk can't survive in the muggle world."

"Oh," Neville couldn't think of anything to say.

"Sorry," Christina said. "I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

"Oh no, it's alright. You're right anyway."

"On the other hand, the wizarding world has enough trouble not integrating with muggle culture. Muggles are becoming more and more powerful."

Neville furrowed his brow. "Did you just switch sides."

She laughed. "Yeah, I do that sometimes."

"It's kinda nice."

"Most people think it's weird. Like I'm untrustworthy or something."

"It shows your a considerate person."

She paused for a moment, looking into his eyes and smiling. "Thanks," She said.

Neville smiled back. An awkward smile that brought up one side of his mouth higher than the other. His blonde hair shining lightly in the fire light. Shadows dancing across his pale skin and messy hair, casting varying lights all across his face, all but his glistening eyes. Deep pools of beauty Christina got lost in at that moment, watching his eyes fixated on her, unlike his usual nervous darting, a faint reflection of herself in their shining color. A tan, short haired girl reflected in wide, hopeful, child-like eyes. Brightly cast not only by the firelight, but his eyes seemed to cast their own new light on her. She suspected her own eyes cast a similar one on him, or at least that's what the swirling fondness he cast in her stomach suggested. She became self conscious of the nervous heat in her face and chest, and he seemed to be blushing similarly.

The footsteps from upstairs became louder, and voices could be heard from the echoing stone staircase. Soon Christina and Neville would no longer be alone, and she didn't like that idea, as much as she didn't like not liking it. He heard the voices too, and his eyes shifted away from her, to the staircase where the voices were, and then to his hands again. Back to square one, nervous glances and no conversation. She was having none of it. 

"Come on," She said, standing and taking his hands in hers. They were warm and seemed to shake nervously at her initial touch, but then calmed against her palm. She was feeling increasingly confident in the presence of Neville, and the fond butterflies in her stomach that came with being near him.

"What?" Neville stopped nervously, but his hand still rested comfortably in hers.

"Don't worry," She said, smiling. "I'm not gonna toss you in a bag and murder you."

He laughed awkwardly.

"That was a joke," She said. "I'm just saying you're safe with me."

"I know that."

Her smile grew wider, as did the brightness in her eyes and the swirling feeling filling her stomach and chest.

"Then come on."

She walked from the common room, pulling him along by the hand, and he was more than willing to comply. The halls were quiet as far as they could see, but they were distracted by their exciting journey. There was nothing new about their surroundings. Gray stone walls decorated with moving paintings and stained glass windows. Marble staircases shifting with grinding noise. Owl feathers found on the floor occasionally. It was the same school they had been attending for almost five years. But it was brighter than ever. Covered in the glorious new feelings they had, casting rose colored happiness onto the wood floors and grassy outdoors. A kaleidoscope of color and emotion that was only marveled by their sparkling eyes when they looked at each other.

It faded into comfortable silence in the following time, 84 dates, 216 kisses, 407 summer letters, 15 dinners with parents, 12 muggle movies, 6 presents, and 2 years of happiness. A new amber color. It still set their eyes alight, but with a new, truer, color. Not just a crazy crush, a deep comfortable love. A quick kiss between classes that became normal, but when they weren't there they would still miss them. A hug by the fire where they'd talked almost a two years before. A filter of warm brown around their love, like looking through a glass of butter beer they would share on weekends. 

There was still a hint of rose color left. A bright pink glowing. Coming from Neville's winter pocket, where an engagement ring waited.