42. He's Gone...

Dan, Phil, and I sat in the front row of the church, listening to Ronnie's speech. I rustled my black dress a little bit while leaning against Phil.

"And all I can say now is that I miss you." Ronnie was saying. "Rest in peace, little brother."

Tears ran down my cheeks as everyone stood up and Ronnie ran over to Dan and hugged him. I tightly held Phil's hand as we made our way to the SUV that was driving us to the graveyard.  I sat by Ronnie, hugging her as we went, and the boys sat next to each other, looking at their laps or out of the window by their seat.

"I think I've run out of tears." Ronnie said at last. She wiped her eyes and sat up.

"I have shed too many this past year. Way too many to count." I said, folding my hands in my lap.

"I love you, Veronica." Came Dan's voice from the backseat. I don't know why he said it at that moment, but he did.

At that moment, the procession stopped and everyone got out of the cars. The hearse came last and the coffin came out.

Everything was a blur of tears and sadness and we all threw dirt in the hole a few minuets later. I looked at the grave stone and cried a little while reading the words. Phil wrapped an arm around me and held up an umbrella. I hadn't noticed that angry, dark grey clouds had begun swirling overhead and rain had started falling. I pressed my head into Phil's suit Jacket and thought about everything that had happened recently.

***

I was in the bedroom Phil and I were sharing putting on my outfit to go out to dinner.

"You look great, babe." Phil said as he pulled on a jacket.

"Thanks." I mumbled, as I pulled on my jacket over my v-neck.

"What's wrong?" Phil asked, frowning. Dear lord I couldn't handle it when he frowned.

"I'm just kinda depressed. No use worrying about it though." I stated as I went to grab my purse. Phil picked it up and put it on the bed, then walked over to me and wrapped me in a warm hug. He smelled like my raspberry shower gel and hairspray.

"Are you okay?" Phil asked me.

"Yes, Philly." I answered.

He released me and we went downstairs. Dan and Veronica were waiting in the entrance hall. Dan had a nice button up and jeans on and Ronnie had a black skirt and a rather low cut top on.

"Are we ready?" She asked, turning to the door and flinging it open before anyone answered.

We all piled in the car (girls in the front, guys in the back) and started off.
We drove for a bit and then stopped in front of a house.

"Um, this doesn't look like Olive Garden." Dan said.

"Didn't I tell you lot that Kyle was coming along?" Ronnie stated.

"NO!" Came the response (in sync I might add) from the rest of us.

"Oh. Well Kyle is coming." She said, grinning.

*****************

523 words