Chapter 3

The next morning, Thomas stumbled down to the kitchen, clutching his head and swearing profusely. Immediately I abandoned the fry pan and walked over to the cupboard, reaching for some Advil. Handing him a glass of water and Advil, I mentally scold him. Thomas was known as the party type, he would always be staying out til the morning and partying too hard. It was a miracle he hasn't been hospitalised for alcohol poisoning.

'Thanks sis. You're a life saver.' He grumbles as he sculls the water down like there's no tomorrow.

'Yeah, yeah. You know you have to stop doing this Tom, it's not good for you.' I scold him. Uh oh. I sound just like mum.

'Not you too, I already get this enough from mum and dad.' He groans.

'Well maybe you should take their advice.' I say and observe the house. Hm, he did clean it.

'Whatever I'll get their lecture soon. What time do they get home anyway?' He says as I check my watch.

'About 4 hours.' I say.

'Right, are you doing anything today?' He asks me curiously.

'Yes, I'm working remember? And then I'm going down to the mall to get some new jeans.' I explain.

'Oh, you'll be back in time for when mum and dad come home right?' He says.

'You know it.' I say as I walk out of the house. I wave hello to our lovely neighbour Annie, she is 78 years old and absolutely adorable. Her face lights up when she sees me and she waves back delighted.

I reach the burger joint within 20 minutes and I'm pleased to see James is working today. He's Robert's son and is very charming and cute, I love working with him as he is the only person my age that works here.

'Hello Miss Arabella.' He says in his British accent and I can't help but smile, this has been one of our inside jokes for years.

'And hello Sir James.' I giggle and he smiles back. The restaurant is busy and I blush at the few people watching our exchange.

'Anyone interesting been in?' I ask him. We always talk about the people who come in, some of them are downright ridiculous.

'Two teenage girls came in and asked if we had any vegan, gluten free, sugar free, lactose free and low carbohydrate burger options.' He rolls his eyes. Who comes into a burger place and asks that?

'How about you, had any one ridiculous  in?' He asks.

'Ugh have I ever! Three teenage obnoxious gorgeous boys came in yesterday, one was polite, one was flirtatious and the other was a sexist dickhead.' I say and James laughs.

'Sounds interesting Ara.' James laughs and I groan, I never want to see those boys again.

'Oh my god Ara!' James tries to hide his laughter and I look in the direction that be is laughing in. Strolling into the restaurant is the three egotistical jerks I was just talking about, why are you doing this to me God? Is it payback for the candy I stole in second grade?

'Quick Ara! Hide and I'll take their order.' He frantically says and shoves me under the counter, out of sight. I watch as he walks over to the boys sitting at a booth. Thankyou James I silently praise him.