Chapter 7

I'd slept for two hours, I glanced at the retro clock hanging on my wall, it's only 9pm?! Wow I didn't think I went to bed that early. What can I say? I love naps. I contemplate going back to bed but the room is too hot and I can't find the right sleeping position. A few minutes later my phone rings.

'Hello.' I say into the speaker.

'Arabella! Thank goodness. I need a massive favour, could you come in til close tonight? I'm so sorry for the late notice. James is sick.' My boss, Robert says flustered.

'Robert it's my day off and I have school tomorrow.' I say annoyed.

'Please Ara? I really need you, Jay and Riley are the only ones there.' He explains.

'Yeah sure that's fine. Don't stress.' I say and he lets out a breath of relief.

'Thankyou Arabella, I'll pay you double for this shift.' He says and I thank him.

'Okay, I'll be there in 10 minutes.' I say and he ends the call. I strip down from my comfy pyjamas and chuck on my waitressing uniform. I quickly run down the stairs grabbing an apple from the counter. Luckily my makeup is intact and my hair looks cute in my messy plait.

'Are you going to work?' Thomas asks.

'Yeah. James is sick so I'm filling in. I really have to go.' I say in a hurry.

'You're not walking, it's dark out. Anything could happen to you. I don't have money to fund your funeral. Grab me a Coke from the fridge and let's go.' He says grabbing the keys as I walk over to the fridge.

'Thanks for the ride, can you get me at 11?' I ask hopping out of the car.

'Yes Ma'am.' He says and drives out of the car park. As soon as I walk in the restaurant I can see why Robert was panicking about me filling in, it's packed.

'Arabella thank god you're here!' Riley says from behind the counter. Riley is 25 but she looks my age. Her usually straight red hair is a mess and she keeps tucking it behind her ear to keep it in place. Her ocean blue eyes are lined with dark bags. She still looks stunning.

'Let me take over, go have a quick break. I got it.' I say and she gives me a hug before walking into the bathroom.

It seemed unfair to have only three people working on such a busy night. I was flat out writing down orders, Riley was getting a workout from all the walking to take out orders and Jay was some sort of kitchen freak producing a burger every five minutes. It was pretty impressive how we handled the busy restaurant.

'Hey can we swap? I need to stop walking.' Riley chuckles and I nod my head. I saunter around the restaurant, but everyone seems to be happy. I notice two teenagers sitting in the corner and walk over to them. Oh my god. It's Connor and Amanda, Amanda is nice to me but she's usually a bitch to everyone else at school. We are civil but I usually stay clear out her and her clique. Her parents are the richest couple in town and I heard her wardrobe is to die for, looking down at my tattered outfit I feel extremely insecure compared to Amanda's sleek black dress.

'Good evening guys.' I put on a fake smile and they both look up from the menu's. I try to contain my jealousy.

'Can I interest you in a kids menu?' I smirk at Connor.

'What the hell? I thought today was your day off.' Connor sneers at me and I feel the urge to bitch slap him.

'I got called in.' I say rudely.

'Anyway, What would you like baby girl?' Connor asks Amanda and I try not to gag. He's trying to get a reaction out of you!

'I'll get whatever my little boo bear is getting.' Amanda coos. Who even speaks like that?!

'Get me two sweet chilli chicken burgers and a milkshake with one straw.' He says smirking at me and shoos me off. He doesn't even have the decency to say please! I storm away and accidentally bump into a pregnant woman and trip her over.

'Oh my gosh I'm so sorry!' I say as she clutches her stomach.

'I'm fine.' She hisses as I help her up.

'Honestly I'm so sorry, can I get you anything?' I say flustered.

'No it's okay. I'm fine really.' She waves her hand and I sigh handing her a slip of paper.

'What's this?' She asks confused.

'A free burger coupon. To excuse my poor manners.' I say sheepishly and she smiles at me and walks out of the restaurant. I walk over to the counter and grab their burger orders and their milkshake, I add another straw because I don't need to see them sharing the same straw. Ew.

'Here's your order guys.' I smile and hand them their burgers.

'If you don't remember clearly I asked for one straw.' Connor says coldly making Amanda giggle.

'Oops.' I shrug carelessly.

'What are you going to do about it?' He glares at me.

'What am I going to do about it? Absolutely nothing, enjoy your meal.' I say and walk off. I glance back at Connor and he is staring at me infuriated. Ha! That's what you get.

Before I know it Thomas is here to pick me up. Yawning I say goodnight to Riley and Jay and walk out of the restaurant, feeling Connor's intimidating stare on my back.