Chapter 5

I slept like a baby all through the night. It was peaceful and I wanted to stay in bed the whole day, savouring the warmth of my bed as the windows welcomed a cool breeze throughout my room. But of course today was Monday or as I like to call it, Hellday. Back to school. Yippee. I reluctantly got out of my bed and walk downstairs eager to have something yummy for breakfast, I open the fridge and it's practically empty.

'THOMAS!' I yell loudly, hoping I woke him up. Seconds later Thomas emerges shirtless, messy hair and a pool noodle in his hand. I instantly laugh and he glares at me.

'What the actual hell Thomas?' I say referring to his pool noodle as a choice of weapon.

'Arabella, it's 7am and you're screaming bloody murder! You'd think someone was trying to kidnap you, what the hell is the matter anyway?' He says annoyed.

'There's no food.' I shrug.

'I don't understand you. Look it's practically 2am for me so I'm going back to bed.' He says rolling his eyes.

'Nice weapon by the way!' I yell.

'It was the first thing I could find.' Thomas mutters from across the hallway.

I groan and head back to the kitchen and pick up a banana and make some tea. Oh how I long for froot loops. Minutes later I find myself standing in front of the mirror with my school uniform on. Ew, who even designs these? I grab everything I need and head back downstairs.

'No pool noodle?' I joke and he flips me off.

'You know the nun life style must be going well for you.' He says and I raise my eyebrows.

'Okay. That was the worst comeback I've ever heard.' I laugh and he seems the least bit impressed.

'I know, I've lost all my mojo.' He says into his coffee.

'You need to go back to college, you're becoming a mess.' I say and he groans.

'Whatever, you need to drive me to school remember.' I say and he nods.

'Can't you drive? I can be a supervisor.' He says formally and I roll my eyes. I had gotten my learners 2 months ago, which means I could drive, as long as I had adult supervision. And Thomas was 22 so it wouldn't hurt.

'Fine lets go.' I say grabbing the keys off the counter. The ride to school was short and stressful, the traffic was crazy and I wasn't comfortable with driving. Thomas of course was no help, he insisted we play Skrillex in the car and it made me swerve the car a number of times. Who the hell even listens to that at 8am?

I sighed hopping out of the car throwing the keys to Thomas as he slid in the driver seat.

'Have fun lil sis.' He smirks and drives away leaving me to my own devices. I walked up the concrete stairs and into the school. Ughhhh. I grabbed my schedule from the administration building and headed over to my home room.

My homeroom teacher tried to spark conversation and asked everyone what they did during the break. No one answered and I tried not to laugh, I always laughed in awkward situations.
My ears perked up when he mentioned something about three boys transferring to our school for the year. Could it be Parker, Jackson and Connor? That would be too cliche.

Before I knew it the bell went off signalling lunch. I head over to the cafeteria and sit down at our table.

'Hey guys.' I say to everyone.

'Hi.' They all chorus back and go back to eating. During lunch there was a lot of small talk and debating about whether the transfers would be hot or not. I rolled my eyes. The day went by quickly after that and before I knew it  the school day was over. Huh, wasn't as brutal as I thought.

I walked home, it was only a 15 minute walk so I figured that was pretty do-able.

'I'm home!' I yell out and throw my backpack onto the floor.

'Yeah yeah do you need to announce it to the world?' Thomas laughs and I smile. It was always like this with him, always bickering with each other.

I place my phone on charge in the kitchen where Thomas is doing the dishes and sit down to watch TV. A few minutes later my phone rings but Thomas has already picked it up. I motion to him to give it back but he just smirked.

'Oh hello who's dis?' Thomas tries to mimic my voice and puts the phone on speaker.

'Arabella! Wait what the hell is wrong with your voice? Are you sick or something?' Parker laughs.

'Oh yeah, I think it's something serious.' Thomas coughs and I try to grab the phone of him.

'Oh no? Do you know what it is?' Parker sounds genuinely concerned but I'm still stunned by the fact he thinks it's me. I don't sound like that right?!

'Yeah I think I might be coming down with a case of chylamdia.' Thomas says his voice faltering and I rip the phone off him.

'What the fu.' Parker starts to say.

'Parker! I'm so sorry, my idiot brother stole my phone.' I say annoyed as Thomas clutches his stomach from laughing so hard.

'Oh right, you know it's kinda weird how much he sounded like you.' Parker teases me.

'Shut up! He sounds nothing like me.' I pout and his laugh echoes through the phone.

'How was school for you missy?' Parker asks.

'Pretty pleasant actually. How about you?' I ask him.

'Bad boys don't go to school on the first day.' He says and I roll my eyes.

'Oh god you are not a bad boy.' I say

'As a matter of fact I am.' He says and I laugh.

'Whatever makes you fall asleep at night Parker.' I say.

'You and I both know it's a true. A girl can never resist a bad boy's charm.' I imagine him winking.

'Trust me, you're not very tempting.' I tease.

'Oh baby, don't lie.' He says smoothly as I try not to swoon. This is what he wants Arabella! Act cool.

'Yeah yeah I gotta go.' I say flustered and hang up the phone. Phew. I look over to Thomas who is staring at me with his arms crossed and eyebrow raised.

'Who was that? I never thought you'd be able to get a boyfriend.' He laughs as he rinses a plate.

'No not my boyfriend. Actually one of the boys from the restaurant I was telling you about the other day.' I explain to him.

'Mhm sure. Anyway you have to do the rest of these dishes.' He says.

'What? No you do them.' I argue with him.

'Mum left me in charge.' He smirks 'You do them.'

He chucks me the tea towel as I groan and start to dry the dishes