Chapter 47 - My Knight in Shining Nike

It was two days before my 18th birthday, a thursday evening. I was sat in front of the computer, trying to do some coursework but I couldn't get very far coz I needed my mum to come and help me with it. 

I was doing an essay for sociology and had to compare various cultures to my own. Because I lived with my mum, and it was a lot easier, I had decided to just write about Brazilian culture. I knew a bit, but obviously my mum knew more, which was why I was waiting for her to come home.

It got to about 9pm, and she still wasn't home, so I gave up and went to go and shower and get ready for bed. Once I had finished with my shower, I went downstairs to check if she was back but she still wasn't home. I went back to my bedroom and got under my covers. I lay there, thinking. My life had been peaceful for a few weeks, and I was enjoying it. My only problem was that I never saw my mum anymore....

My phone began vibrating on the bedside table, with Kyle's name flashing on the screen 

"Hello" I said
"Yo baby" he said; he sounded giddy
"Why are you so happy"

He told me a story about his day, it seemed like he had just had a good day. We stayed on the phone until about 1.30am, when I realised the time and told him I needed to be up early the next morning.

When I got up later that morning, I went into my mum's room, only to find that her bed hadn't been slept in. She wasn't downstairs and there was no sign that she had come home.

I went back upstairs to the bathroom where I brushed my teeth and showered. After getting dressed, I left the house at about 10am. I was running late so I hadn't even had time to have breakfast. Once I got off of the train near my college, I went into the McDonald's near the train station and bought a sausage and egg mc muffin and continued with my journey.

***

I woke up on the morning of my 18th birthday to hear loads of noise in my house. I still hadn't seen my mum since thursday morning, so it looked like she was home now.

I went into the bathroom where I brushed my teeth and used the toilet and went downstairs to find the source of all the noise. As I walked down the stairs I could see the hallway was filled with boxes and suitcases.... 

It looked like someone was moving in or moving out...

I walked into the kitchen to find my mum sat at the table with Raphael, and some random girl. 

"Happy birthday darling!" My mum said when she saw me walk in.

The girl looked up at me and said "happy birthday" as well but I didn't respond.

"Mother, why is there all those boxes in the hallway? Is someone moving in?" I asked, fearing what the answer would be

She looked up at me and invited me to sit down next to her. I chose to stay standing.

"Ok. This is Stephanie, Raphael's daughter. I've been trying to tell you this for a while, but we've been like ships passing in the night. Raphael and Stephanie are moving in with us too." She said the last part so casually, as if it was nothing

"Why do you have to do everything in secret? You never consult me or Tyrell when you're making your decisions, but I bet you that Byron and Anton knew about this. You treat us like we're still little babies, but we're both grown up enough to be included in your decisions. And isn't it amazing that you just magically chose to move them in on MY birthday. I swear to God, I fucking hate you!" I screamed the last bit and went back up to my room, locking the door.

I was struggling to breathe, I was so angry. I was the only person in my family that was always left out of things; Tyrell just happened to never be here so he was lucky enough to escape the bullshit.

I was so angry and frustrated that I had started crying. I picked up my phone and called Kyle, but he wasn't answering. It was only 10.30 so he was probably asleep. I called him like 10 times in five minutes but he still didn't answer, so I gave up. I sat on my bed crying, and someone began knocking at the door.

"Ciara?" It was Raphael. When I ignored him he began banging on the door
"Open this door, now!" 
I opened the door, but not because he told me to; because I wanted to stab him

"Sorry, who the fuck do you think you are?! You are not my father, so don't think you can walk into my life and start telling me what to do." I said, and tried to close the door but he put his hand in the way.

"Your father is some worthless nigga who left your mum to look after the five of you on her own, so don't compare me to him. I wouldn't want to be YOUR father if it was the last thing I could ever be on Earth. Why don't you go off and get pregnant by that black boyfriend of yours, and become another statistic. You dirty little mutt, you must be confused, not knowing if you're black or what..." He said, and started laughing.

I stood there with my mouth open. My mother was on the stairs, holding her head in her hands.

"Excuse me, are you really going to let him to talk to me like that in YOUR house?!"

"Her house? Who do you think paid for this place. I just wasn't here from the get-go because she didn't want to upset you." I looked at my mum

"IS THIS TRUE?!" I screamed

She didn't respond

"Don't you dare shout in MY house." He said, and slapped my face hard

I went back into my room, slammed the door and locked myself in. I sat on my bed, with tears streaming down my face.

This was the worst day of my life, my birthday had officially been ruined.

"You'd better be gone from this house when we get back" I heard Raphael say. He was obviously talking to me

I gave up with calling Kyle, and tried calling my dad. Both of his numbers just rang and rang, so I gave up. I took a bag out from my wardrobe and put a few things in there. I heard the front door close; they were gone.

I ran into Tyrell's room. I knew he had left some money in his room, so I searched for it. I found about £275 so I took it and continued packing the important things. I had a quick shower and got changed.

I left my house and had no idea where I was going. Rianna had already moved out of her home for university, otherwise I would've just gone there. I didn't feel like going to Karina's house, coz she probably wasn't home, and Meisha would've just made me feel like what happened was my fault.

I sat at the bus stop at the top of my road, thinking. I tried my dad again but there was still no answer. Chelsea was in Guyana with her boyfriend, and I had no other family members that lived locally. 

Kyle was my only real option until I found somewhere else to go. I called him one last time and he finally answered. You could tell he had just woken up

"I was just about to call you back. What's wrong; I know there's something wrong coz you wouldn't be calling me this much if something aint wrong..." He said, waiting for me to speak

I told him what had happened

"That's fucked up man. And your mum just stood there and watched?" He said

"Yup. And now I have nowhere to live." I said, bursting into tears. 

"Stay there, I'm coming to get you. I'll be like 15 minutes." He said, hanging up the phone

I sat there, feeling fed up. How many other people could say that their mother had chosen her fiance over them? I was cold, tired and hungry, I just wanted to lie in a bed and sleep.

Kyle arrived quicker than I had expected, and drove me back to his house. I layed in his bed while he played Pro Evolution Soccer

"Well this has been the best birthday ever, hasn't it?" He said, pressing buttons on the controller

I nodded, and laughed

"At least you got to spend it with the best boyfriend in the world." He said, popping the collar of his polo shirt

"Erm, no I didn't. I'm spending it with you" 

"Ha ha ha. You're a comedian now yeah?" He said, throwing something at me

It was about 1pm now. He finished the game and picked up his laptop.

"Sooo.... What are we doing to celebrate you becoming an adult?" He said, logging into his email

"I'm not in the mood to go out, I just wanna be depressed" I said, covering my face with the duvet

"Let's stay in then. But I'm just gonna go to the shop quickly to buy something." He said, getting up and putting his jeans back on. "Stay here and sleep." He kissed me on my cheek and left the room.

I layed there quietly, and must have fallen asleep eventually because when I opened my eyes Kyle was back and the time on his alarm said 3.34pm

"Morning sleepyhead" he said sarcastically 

I stuck my middle finger up at him and sat up. 
"Who's in your house?" I asked, standing up and walking over to my bag to find my toothbrush. 

"My mum's in the kitchen, Ashley's watching tv or something" He said, turning his own tv on. I went into the bathroom and brushed my teeth. 

When I went back in the bedroom he was watching the Hollyoaks omnibus. I layed down next to him and put my head on his shoulder.

"Kylee... I'm hungry." 
"Go cook something then, why you tellin' me?" He said. When he laughed I knew he was joking. "Do you wanna go out to eat or should we get a takeaway?"

"How about you cook for me since its birthday" I said, fluttering my eyelashes

"If you wanna die on your birthday, that's fine by me." He said, laughing. 

I made a sad face at him

"Get up then. We're goin' Morleys, you've got a £2 limit though." He said slapping my bum when I stood up

I laughed as we walked down the stairs. When we got to the bottom, I put my shoes back on and he went into the kitchen to tell his mum we were going out.

We drove to Pizza Hut and sat in the waiting area for a bit then got a table. I felt so rough, but I decided to ignore the feeling and enjoy the rest of my day

Whilst we were waiting for our food, I realised that out of my whole family, only Anton had called me to wish me a happy birthday. Byron had texted me but that wasn't the same. 

It looked like Kyle and Anton were the only people left for me to rely on now; my mum had chosen Raphael, my dad obviously didn't wanna know, and Tyrell seemed to hate me for being with Kyle. I had one other brother but I hadn't even seen him since I was like 8, he had moved to America and stopped contacting us....

"Why've you gone quiet all of a sudden. Don't let your mum make you depressed on your birthday." He moved from his side of the booth and came and sat next to me, putting his arm around me. 

After a bit, our food came and we ate in silence.

After we finished, we sat there talking for like half an hour. We left the restaurant at about 6 and went back to his house. 

He told me to go up to his room and wait for him so I did. I could hear him coming up the stairs. His mum walked into the room with Ashley and Rachel, then Kyle walked into the room with a birthday cake with lit candles on it behind them.

I started laughing as they sang 'Happy Birthday' to me. After I blew out the candles they left the room and it was just Kyle and I.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"
"Coz you're my baby and its your birthday" he said, putting the cake on his desk and kissing me.

The front door slammed shut and I heard his mum and Rachel's voices outside. They got into the car and drove off. It was just us and Ashley left in the house....

"And then there were two..." He said, standing in front of me and pulling me up. We weren't the same height so we weren't at eye level but he was staring into my eyes intently.

He kissed me again, but this time you could tell he meant business. He grabbed my bum tightly and moved his lips down my neck. I moaned quietly, wrapping my arms around his neck. We fell back on the bed with me on top of him. I sat up and took off my top and bra.. He layed me back on the bed and gently sucked on my breasts as I wrapped my arms around his neck again. 

The next thing I knew, we were both completely naked and he was kneeling over me, his arousal sticking out stiffly from his body. He pulled me further down the bed and spread my legs with his own, positioning himself for entry. I could feel him getting closer and closer then it slid into me slightly.

"Mmm..." I began moaning quietly, waiting for the rest of it. He teased me for a while until it became evident that he himself couldn't wait anymore, and he forced it all in. 

"Ahhh that hurt" I said, biting him. His movements became sharper as punishment for me biting him and I had no choice but to make more noise. I wanted to scream from the mixture of pain and pleasure I was feeling, but no sounds were coming out of my mouth. The only sounds in the room was the creaking of the bed, him moaning quietly and the sound of our bodies smacking against each other. I reached the point of no return and experienced the mind numbing feeling as my legs shook uncontrollably. My whole body felt completely numb and I suddenly felt sleepy again. Kyle let out one last groan and collapsed on top of me as he exploded inside of me.

We stayed like that for a while, just kissing and enjoying the feeling of it... We spent the rest of the evening in the bed in our underwear, watching tv and eating biscuits and crisps.

Despite the sour start to the day, I had ended up enjoying it with Kyle; he had been my knight in shining Nike <3 

©Natalie Appiah

Follow me on Twitter @Natarley