Chapter 73 - Gone Girl

I was sat in the waiting room of the major injury/illness ward at the hospital, with Meisha, Rianna and Paris. 

We had no idea what was happening with Karina, she had lost a lot of blood and had barely been breathing in the ambulance, the paramedics had been struggling a lot. Paige had been taken to the maternity ward after having constant contractions as the others had waited for the second ambulance, it seemed that she was definitely having her baby boy sooner rather than later. 

Karina's mum had arrived at the hospital about half an hour ago and had gone somewhere to wait while they worked on Karina. 

We had all been silent since we got there, no-one knew what to say or do, and we were all so scared that something bad was going to happen. 

I hadn't found out who Rianna had been trying to call because the person had never turned up. I could faintly hear the sound of something vibrating and realised it was my phone. Derome was calling me. 

"Hello" I said, sighing deeply

"Are you with Karina... Or Meisha?" It sounded like he was outdoors in a noisy place. 

"Yes, why?" 

He proceeded to explain that he had seen Karim's older sister who had told him that she was worried about her brother coz he was looking for Karina and he was angry. 

If only I had received this phone call two hours earlier, we may not have been sitting in the hospital. I couldn't bring myself to tell him what had happened that evening. 

"Ciara, can you hear me?" He probably assumed that my silence meant I hadn't heard what he said. 

"It's too late..." I said, quietly. "Just come to the hospital, I can't explain." 

It was weird that Derome even knew Karim's sister, and what had caused Karim to be so mad with Karina that day? He was a little notorious for his violent temper, he had always bern one of the well known bad boys, but throughout their relationship, I had never seen anything to indicate he was violent towards her. 

"Guys, did anyone know about what was going on with them two?" Rianna said, it was like she was reading my thoughts. 

Paris began shifting uncomfortably in her seat. 

"Did you know?!" Meisha turned towards Paris, looking like she wanted to kill her.

"She mentioned it and I told her to leave him. She did, as far as I knew. She only told me coz I saw some bruises on her."

We all looked at Paris, listening while she spoke.

"So you knew this shit was happening and you didn't fucking say anything to ANY of us? Not even Meisha, one of her sisters, her mum?" I said, I wanted to fuck Paris up but I didn't want to end up on the maternity ward, too. 

"You could have stopped this whole night from happening, but you kept your mouth shut? Are you seriously that stupid?!" I screamed at her, and was about to go off on her dumb ass when a member of staff came over and told us to keep it down. 

"If Karina dies, and I speak for all of us when I say this, I will NEVER forgive you for not telling someone. You could have been the difference between this happening and it not happening. We could have protected her if we knew earlier." Rianna spoke, she was looking at Paris like she hated her and Meisha was distraught, she had started crying again, and I just felt so angry but I knew I had to think of my daughter - I was all she had in this world. 

Paris startred crying again, too.

"Guys, I am so sorry. I thought it would be okay, after I found out she promised she wouldn't go back to him, I thought she would be okay.