The Awakening

Author's note:
Copyright © 2016 by Kimberly Turner. No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews.
Lastly, enjoy the book.

Chapter one:

"No, no..." Murmured Finn, who lied in a bundle of cotton blankets fast asleep.

I studied him anxiously as I sat up from my spot. He was shifting in his sleep as well as mumbling a bit. My mind debated rather or not to awaken Finn. I pulled my blue quilt tighter around me when sweat tingled on Finn's forehead. I sighed as I reached over to poke him. Growing up with him when we were younger, I knew he didn't enjoy being woken up, but this was different. My finger softly poked him, but Finn acted like I stabbed him.

He bolted up straight and shouted, "No!"

I jumped and scrambled away from him instantly. Finn's eyes were bulged and his face was coated in sweat. However, the thing that frightened me the most was his veins. Finn's veins were huge and pulsing as it traveled all the way towards his forearms in an electric green color.

"Are you okay?" I questioned softly.

Finn glanced at me as he rubbed his face gradually becoming calmer.

"Yeah, don't worry," Finn answered in a shaky voice.

My fingers played with the loose fabric of my quilt twirling it around my index finger nervously. Every night wasn't the same for us ever since the invasion. I still recall it very much vividly.

It was a casual breezy Friday night and I was fast asleep in my silky lavender sheets. Deep sleep had devoured me after an exhausting day at school, but soon I was awakened. It was my mother who awoke me, I still remembered her expression as though it haunts me every day. Her loose tangled brown curls were messily scattered everywhere and she was dressed in casual clothes, white plain shirt and a pair of blue jeans. My mother's mouth was gaped open and trembling as her hands shook me violently and desperately.

"We need to leave, pack your stuff," she hissed.

I rubbed my eyes sheepishly and murmured, "Why?"

"No time, get up please," she begged as she reached for my navy blue backpack.

I staggered off my bed and started pulling clothes out of my draws into my backpack. I didn't even look at what I was packing because one, my mom kept muttering "hurry," and two, I was too tired. I stuffed the last essentials which was my phone, its charger, and my hairbrush. My mother and I then hurried into my bathroom as I then packed my tooth paste, tooth brush, and shampoo. Mother gripped my arm so tight that night as we hurried down those stairs, I'm pretty sure she left bruises.

My backpack was on my shoulders weighing heavily when I saw my dad and sister at the bottom of the stairs. My dad was wearing a gray sweater and a pair of jeans as my sister had a pink shirt with long black pants. They both had their shoes on and backpacks strapped on tightly. My sister, Vicky, had her thumb in her mouth as she glanced up at me nervously.

"Let's go Sapphire, we will explain later," my dad commanded as he reached for the door.

I didn't get even get a chance to speak because we all swarmed out of the house. I didn't even get to say goodbye to the home I lived in all my life filled with memories I cherished so deeply. My head was throbbing with confusion, but once we took a step outside, my eyes widened with terror.

Gray dull smoke floated up into the air from massive fires catching on to every single little thing. People were swarming everywhere, bleeding, dying, and screaming. I choked out a cry as my mother tugged me along and as my dad carried my sobbing sister into his arms. I looked down the street to where I've walked and drove over so many times and witnessed something I'll never forget.

Men in dark black suits started shooting with big armed guns. One man who seemed to be the commander wearing an elite navy blue coat, pointed a gun at an adult male and yelled "Too old!" And shoot the guy in the head. Blood splattered on the pavement with a last pitched scream from the man whom fallen. The commander started striding towards us next.

"Run! Towards the woods!" My dad shouted as he staggered with my sister in his arms.

My mom rushed with me and my dad towards the woods, but a loud shot rang out. I heard a fallen body instantly.

I stopped,

I swung around,

and I saw it.

My dad limp with his eye's stone cold frozen open and my sister trying to push him off her with a mangled cry.

I remembered falling to my knees on the street with tears streaming nonstop down my face. I heard my mother falling onto the pavement, she passed out. The commander stomped over to my sister and he glanced at her warily.

"Cute, but too young," He proclaimed as he then shot her in the head too.

"No!" I bawled at my now dead five year old sister.

The commander then turned towards me and the corners of his lips lifted up. He paced towards me with such evil confidence as though he's been searching for me. I tried to scamper away in fear, but I was too weak for my own good. His black leather gloved hand grabbed my chin upwards. Up close I could tell he was handsome, but cruel. His blond hair almost covered his eyes, but his eyes were a piercing bright blue, you could never forget them. He was also young, probably in his early twenties. It was quite young for a commander, but he sure as hell looked like one tremendously.

"Tell me, how old are you?" He questioned harshly.

"S-s-sixteen," I squeaked out with floods of tears still going down my face.

I was quivering and my hands were clawed into the street. I didn't feel the pain from numbness of fear, but I knew my fingers were bleeding.

"Good, good," the commander said with pure menace.

He then gripped both of my arms and lifted me up. That guy who shot my dad and sister was going to drag me away to who knows where.

"No, no, no, please let me go," I wept helplessly struggling in his strong hold.

"I like it when they beg, such a pretty thing you are," he whispers into my ear.

The commander was so close I could feel his hot breath against my ear. I shivered and continued to struggle until a familiar voice called out.

"Let her go!" A weak voice screeched.

The commander let go of me and turned to face the voice. It was my mother and she laid so weakly on the bloody street, but she had awoken from when she passed out.

"Hmm, too old," he said casually as he lifted up his gun.

My mother mouthed "leave" before the shot rang out and her blood doused the concrete with thick redness.

I ran as fast as I could only glancing back once with my backpack trudging on my back. It was my dead family and the commander sneering at me ready to pounce after me. My feet glided across the border of the woods and fear controlled me to sprint away.

My breaths ragged and sweat as well as tears poured on my face. I could hear heavy footsteps and he was gaining on me. I muffled a sob in terror as I took a turn with twigs snapping under my weight. Suddenly, someone grabbed me and clasped a hand over my mouth. I was buried under a bush hidden with this stranger on top of me. I could tell it was a tall male and I prayed it wasn't one of the attackers. I could hear the commander curse as he dashed away from where I was hidden.

"Don't scream," said an awfully familiar deep voice as the hand wretched away from my mouth.

I gasped and crawled away to get a better glance of this stranger. It was Finn and he had saved me that night.