Promises

James was alone by himself and he had a furious face. It frightened me especially how he changed into an all-black uniform equipped with guns and knives. He appeared as if he was prepared for a battle.

"We are leaving now," Finn hollered as he kept holding me in a bridal style except tighter.

I was still in pain but I could feel Finn's powers coming back in a reflex starting to heal me. The familiar sensation warmed my upper body as suddenly the pain disappeared. My skull wasn't throbbing like before and it didn't feel as if I broke my back anymore. I gestured Finn to let me down and he let me stand up gently.

"Don't make me do this," James warned.

I didn't want to stick around for whatever he had planned and neither did Finn. Finn and I shared eye contact and we knew what to do in an instant. Fight or flight? We picked flight.

We pushed the doors open immediately behind us and started rushing out towards outside. Our feet was pounding the grass as we ran for our lives. Finn was quicker than me since he was an athlete but he went in my pace. I felt guilty for slowing us down.

The ground started to shake and I heard the Earth start to crack. Being outside again was the best thing ever and being able to breathe fresh air, but having a earthquake happening right behind you? Not so much.

In front of Finn and I was a huge forest, we started to sprint towards it as the huge oak trees engulfed us. The smell of oak filled my senses and it was so pleasant. If only I wasn't running for my life with Finn.

"I wish one of us had powers like the Flash," Finn groaned as a crack formed in between his legs.

The crack ran faster ahead of us as it started to spilt open. Trees were falling into the gaped hole behind us plunging into the depths of the ground. I was breathing heavily knowing we couldn't run like this forever.

We turned the other direction away from the cracks, but the hole was getting wider ready to eat us up. I was getting tired as my pace started to slow down. I wasn't athletic like Finn, I couldn't run long distances.

"Finn, I can't," I whispered out of breath.

Finn cursed as I slowed to a stop. He squatted down motioning me to climb on his back. I climbed on top of his back gingerly as I wrapped my hands and legs around him. He got up swiftly holding me and started to dash across the forest in strides.

Up ahead was a small wooden cabin, it was our best option to get some safety. Finn reached the doorstep after just a few strides and rushed inside. The cabin was abandoned obviously but it still had modern day furniture.

There was an old living room filled with things like a coach and TV as the kitchen next to it had an oven, stove, microwave, refrigerator, table, chairs, and kitchen essentials like a toaster.

There was also a door to the right that probably led to a bedroom. I jumped off of Finn's back and we both dove under the table. We clung onto the legs of the table as the ground continued to shake violently.

My eyes were squeezed shut as my heart pounded against my chest. Sweat was coated all over my body and I was breathing so heavy from tiredness. Swiftly then, the shakes stopped and everything stopped trembling.

"We have to hide," commanded Finn.

I stood up from under the table and glanced around looking for a spot to hide both of us. Something caught my eye then as there was a huge gap in the wooden boards of the house next to the wall. I walked towards it quickly examining it.

"Over here Finn," I called.

I heard Finn standing up and coming over to me. The gap was big enough to fit both of us and it was a perfect hiding spot. Finn examined the hole and nodded, then he reached over to the dusty beige couch.

"Go in the hole, I'll be right behind you."

I listened to Finn's instructions as I dropped into the hole. It wasn't that deep but it was deep enough, though it was filthy and coated me with dirt. Finn dragged the couch towards the hole and then leaped into the hole with me. He pulled the couch a little closer over the hole until he couldn't anymore.

It was dark in here except for a pale dim light that shimmered from the crack between the couch and the wall. I could hear Finn's steady breathing as he pulled his legs close to him.

Finn was a baseball player back in our high school days. He was a really good athlete, built with muscles and was fast. I always admired him whenever I watched him on the field wishing I was as athletic as him. He was going to the finals with his team but the invasion happened and now it's just a faraway memory.

"Finn..." I murmured.

But he shushed me quietly as we heard heavy steps from outside. My pulse picked up as the creak of the front door squealed open.

"Come out wherever you are and I won't shoot you when I find you," James strong voice rang out.

Finn and I sat up quietly as we waited for James next words. There was no way in hell we were going back to his laboratories.

"Fine, play like that. I know your here anyways."

A crash sounded nearby as James started to throw things around. I bit my lip from quivering praying that he wouldn't throw the couch. Something made out of glass broke and I flinched slightly.

"Where are you!?" James bellowed in anger.

A gunshot sounded as it sounded like James shot the roof. I was startled and was trembling, he was lashing out. I felt Finn's sturdy hand rest on my knee and I felt a little bit better.

"I'll find you both.... I swear to you, I will," James screamed as he stormed out of the door.

The door did an awful noise as it was thrown open. I leaned against Finn as the angry footsteps walked away. I felt Finn's hand move from my knee to my face. I pulled away to look at Finn's eyes and it was filled with relief and a hint of lust.

His hand gently rubbed my cheek as he smiled gently. I craved for his touch, his feel, just anything from Finn. I licked my lips as he leaned in close to me. Our foreheads touched and our eyes closed shut.

I could feel his hot breath colliding against mine and all I could think now is that we're safe and free for now. His lips pressed against mine tenderly and passionately. I kissed him back not breaking this blissful moment. My hands wrapped along his neck and I played with the backs of his hair.

Finn then pulled back and looked at me in the eye,

"I'll always keep you safe, I promise."