Meaningless Exceptions

Finn's P.O.V

 It seemed like a miracle following Ivy through the dense forest. I was finally seeing my family, I was so sure that I had lost them forever. If only Sapphire was here then everything would be completed.

"How did this camp form?" I questioned.

"Your dad created it. After the invasion happened in our community, he decided that we shouldn't fall apart. We got all together and formed a camp inside the mining tunnels," Ivy informed me gingerly.

This wasn't a surprise to me. My father was always the constructive type, very educated. Sometimes it was a flaw and he became too overwhelmed in his work. Everyone knew Williams Carter as my farther who solved every problem.

"I'm guessing my mom is there too?"

I was almost too nervous to ask that, to face the truth that she might be dead.

"She's... there," Ivy hesitated as we continued through the forest.

I shoved my hands in my pockets following Ivy until she paused.

"We're here."

There was a small wooden shack in the center towered by trees.

"The mining tunnels are abandoned but they hide us. Be careful though because we set traps around," Ivy said.

Ivy took caution taking small steps towards the shack with me close behind her. When we arrived at the entrance, there was a small caged elevator inside. Ivy lifted the door open and motioned for me to step inside. The elevator closed with a shudder and we sunk into the deep mining tunnels. I heard soft voices rumbling along the dark walls, I knew we were near. The elevator stopped violently and Ivy lifted the door up again.

"Finn?" Questioned a familiar voice.

I stepped out and squinted through the dimness. There was lanterns placed but it was still tough to see. A person carefully walked towards me. It was my father wearing a plain gray shirt and black long pants. His face was bewildered as he examined me.

"I..." I trailed off not sure what to say.

Shockingly, my father pulled me into an embrace. That's when the tears threatened to escape from my eyes. I hugged back with so much emotion it ached.

"I missed you," I choked out.

"I missed you too son," My father spoke.

He pulled back then smiled with a sad look.

"You must be starving."

My father traveled deeper into the tunnels. I trailed behind him as he took me further to another place. I glanced around and noticed there wasn't a lot of people like I assumed. There was a few handful of families scattered around but other than that, this place was a ghost town. Soon, we stopped at a corner with stacks of canned food.

"Where did you find all this food?" I wondered out loud.

"We robbed Walmart," My father shrugged.

He picked up two cans and tossed it over to me. I nodded my thanks and glanced at them. It was corn and soup.

"Finn... where were you at the night of the invasion?" I heard him say quietly.

After opening my corn, I looked at my dad with grief. That's when everything spilt from my mouth but I left pieces out. I left out Sapphire's powers and mine as well, James, when we were captured, and just everything except when I found Sapphire and we hid in the cellar.

"Where is Sapphire now?" My father wondered.

"I... I lost her when we were searching the abandoned town for supplies. I think she got captured by the people from the invaders..." I lied as sweat tingled on my forehead.

Telling my father everything was a bit too risky. I felt extremely guilty for not telling him about the secrets I had discovered but I knew it was for the greater good. I couldn't let James or the others know that my parents were alive.

"My mother though, where is she?"

My father gazed up at me with sudden teary eyes.

"She's very sick... a couple of days ago was when the side effects occurred. Luckily we have a doctor and he thinks that she may have cancer. Mariam, your mother, is still alive but, very weak."

At first, I didn't feel any emotion from shock. Then once a minute of silence passed, a wave of pain rushed through me. A thought struck me as I realized that maybe I could feel my mother. That thought didn't last though as then there was gun shots in the distance. I was immediately distracted and turned around to see what was going on. It was hard to see anything but it sounded like a war. There was petrified screams and cries with along a stream of gunshots. It sounded a lot like the invasion all over again. Right when I was about to stand up, Ivy came running.

"They're here and they-" Ivy screamed until she was cut short with blood erupting from her mouth.

Ivy fell forward and landed on her face with a gunshot visible on the back of her head.

"Ivy!" My father and I yelled at the same time.

Then around the corner came strolling Major Garrison. It the same man that caught me dashing through the woods. Now, I was definitely in deep shit. With me being unarmed and still weak with just some bites of corn in my stomach, I had no chance against him or an army.

"Here's Finn! Now if you don't mind, I'm going to need you to come with me," Major Garrison taunted with a grin.

There was splotches of blood on his face and he had this devilish grin.

"How do you know my name?" I asked with bewilderment.

"James told us. Looks like you've been keeping secrets and have been lying!" Major Garrison accused.

My mouth gaped with bewilderment. James didn't die? He's getting away? Of course they would let him go! My blood was boiling with anger now. Major Garrison took a step forward with his rifle trained on my forehead. Then my father stepped in front of me.

"You will not take my son," My father said confidently.

Major Garrison barked a laugh and grabbed my father. His meaty hands snaked around my dad's neck and a loud snap sounded. My father fell to the ground dead as his neck was broken with along Ivy.

"Why would you do that?" I growled as I was furious with tears leaking from my eyes.

That one chance of having my family with me once again was crushed.

"He was in the way," Major Garrison shrugged.

I charged Major Garrison and we both landed onto the ground with a thud. People from planet Niribu dressed in camouflage came charging into where we were. I felt a needle prick me as I got my hands around Garrison's throat. With all my strength, I squeezed trying to choke him but there was black spots clouding my vision rapidly. My whole body felt weak and then I let go feeling unconscious.