Taking a Step Forward

A flashback blossomed and I sunken into it immediately.

It was a summer afternoon last year filled with hot air and breathless moments. I was in Finn's Lexus sitting in the passenger seat cruising along the coastline. The water was shimmering with shades of blue as the sand glistened.

The cars roof was folded back so the air was surfing through our hair wildly. I was grinning at Finn as we sped along the road. This was our secret road that no one knew about, we could speed along it without worrying about the police.

Finn had his sunglasses on with his white shirt unbuttoned all the way and swim trucks. He was jamming along to the pop music that blasted from his stereo. We were so alive at that moment just laughing, singing, and dancing.

I threw my hands in the air singing along to the song while Finn chuckled at me. It was a gleeful memory that I kept close to me and then it faded just like that, Finn's right hand resting on the steering wheel and the other resting on my knee.

I woke up crying in someone's warm familiar arms. Their hand was smoothing my arm slowly comforting me. I wept for my family, I wept for Finn and I, I wept for everyone who died from the invasion, and I just let it all go.

Sniffling a few last tears I swiped them away with my sleeve. I observed my surroundings and saw that I was back in my little bed at my little room.

I always end up here don't I?

Finn was in the same bed as me as he leaned against the wall. His dark brown hair was ruffled from restlessness and his skin was filthy. After this was all over, I promised myself we would head to a lake or river immediately. His eyes were closed briefly until he noticed I was watching him.

"You alright?" Finn murmured.

I nodded my head yes as I snuggled deeper into his chest. Without Finn, I probably couldn't even last one second in this disaster. I was so grateful for him and it's time that I thank him.

I was about to get all mushy saying how much I appreciated him but he already started speaking.

"I have an idea."

"Go on," I prompted now curious.

"We're going to escape, just follow my lead."

Finn then pulled out something sharp that reflected the light from his back. It was a knife from our feast and he probably took it without anyone noticing. I gulped knowing that he was probably going to have to use it on someone for us to escape.

Finn's arm slipped away from me as he hopped off the bed. I felt a little chilly without his protective warmth but I knew not to complain. I trudged along with him as Finn then started moving the table next to us.

He did it as quietly as possible as he lifted it up towards the corner of the room. I squinted at him puzzled until I noticed there was a air vent on the ceiling from where he placed the table.

Finn swung his legs onto the table and stood up, he then reached over to help me up. I took his rough hand into mine and a buzz was sent down my arm. He lifted me up to the table as I was then standing next to him. Finn then cursed as we both noticed the air vent was nailed to the ceiling.

"This is going to make a lot of noise, so we have to move quickly."

I nodded in agreement ready to sprint up that air vent. Luckily, it was big enough for both of us to manage to squeeze in. The thing that didn't make sense though was that how James could let Finn and me in the same room freely?

I peered at the door and saw it was double locked, I guess that made sense, but was James that dumb to let us crawl into the air ducts? Did he forget? Or is he doing this on purpose? But why?

My mind was swarming with questions as then a loud snap and a clink sounded. Finn punched the air vent open as it fell to the floor, his knuckles was now bleeding.

"Are you okay?" I hissed but Finn waved me away.

Finn then got on all fours and gestured for me to climb on top of him to get inside the air ducts. I gingerly stepped on his muscular back as he grunted slightly. My fingertips reached for the edge of the air ducts and I threw myself inside.

I breathed heavily as the icy metal stung my skin. I glanced down at Finn as his fingers grabbed the edge easily. Him being tall and athletic it was easier for him to climb in then it was for me.

I crawled backwards as Finn swung himself in with a roll. I heard guards shouting below us with the fiddling of locks. My eyes widen as Finn mouthed "Go."

My heart was pierced with familiar fear as I crawled rapidly down the air ducts. The ducts were made out of metal and it was somewhat clean yet cold.

"Shit, where do I go?" I whispered fiercely to Finn.

"Wait," Finn called as he then punched a nearby air vent with his better fist.

He jumped down the vent as it pushed open from his force. I gazed down at the hole and saw Finn reaching out for me. I leaped off the air ducts and landed safely into Finn's arm. He smiled warily at me until he realized our surroundings.

We appeared at the lobby of the laboratory filled with guards. There was a information desk next to us from where we landed and a set of doors in front of us. Sunshine beamed into the lobby and I bit my lip at the sight of the outside.

Unfortunately, the guards were blocking the exit out and there was about five of them. My hands were heating up with electrifying power. I really didn't want to hurt anyone but I didn't have any other choice, it's them or us.

I willed the lightning to strike and it did colliding with the nearest guard. He fell to the floor jerking like a fish out of water. The rest of the guards then came storming after us as two went after Finn and two after me.

Finn was then locked into a fight stabbing one man on the side. One of the guards grabbed me catching me off guard and I grunted as the man lifted me up from my waist easily. I planted my hands onto his bald head and sent electricity into his body.

He let go of me immediately as I dropped into the floor on my back. I groaned with the pain of the sudden impact. The guard I electrocuted then started to fall on top of me but I rolled away in time.

I heard a shout of pain as my eyes veered towards it instantly. It was Finn receiving blows from a guard, the other one was bloody dead on the floor. I was about to help him until my attention got caught on my second guard whom charging after me.

I made my decision without thinking clearly as I shot out blue lightning at the guard that was about to kick Finn. I watched as Finn sprang away from the electrocuted guard in fast time.

The man whom was charging after me then tackled me into the floor. I cried out from the sneering pain that entered my skull. The guard was crushing me with his weight and I helplessly tried to get him off me.

Suddenly, the crushing weight was vanished as Finn pulled him off me. Finn lifted me up into his arms bridal style as he sprinted towards the door in athletic leaps.

Finn was gaining onto the doors ready to push them open until a familiar stern voice shouted into the air.

"Stop it right there or I swear you'll be in heaps of pain."

It was James.