The Unexpected

Surprisingly, James appeared rather calm. He was squinting at the brightness and stood deathly still. His hand was tightened around a black pistol which gave me anxiety.

"I came alone, I don't wish any harm. Would you please not direct the flashlight right at my face?" James snarled.

I lowered the flashlight towards his chest but I could still see his every movements.

"You're full of bullshit. Not long ago you told us you were going to shoot us," Finn growled.

James arched an eyebrow.

"So you were there... well, I have a change of heart. I would like to talk to both of you."

Then, James put down his pistol and slid it to Finn. Finn picked it up and held it in his right hand now. I was as clueless as to why James was acting this way all of a sudden.

"Okay, let's talk. What do you want?" Finn commanded.

James eyes flicked from me and Finn, but his eyes held longer to mine. I could feel electricity bubbling up in me. James took a deep breath and he began to spoke in a stern tone.

"I've come to explain some matters to you. Hopefully you don't mind standing for a while because this will take a long time to explain."

I leaned against a tree behind me and awaited for James next words.

"We came to Planet Earth in ships designed for long distance traveling in space. We called them night ships. The whole reason as to why we arrived here with night ships was because of our leader Christopher. He likes to think of himself as king of our planet. You see, our planet is much smaller than yours."

James paused then continued.

"Christopher hired me as a commander and ordered me to invade Planet Earth. This was because our talented kind was dying of course. Then, what you beings called "The Invasion" started. It wasn't my entirely my fault this had all happened, if I didn't listen to Christopher he would have executed me. I never intended to kill almost your entire race off. It was completely disgusting and idiotic of me to do."

I still remember the night of the invasion like it was yesterday, James's face was ruthless. There was no way he was saying that he didn't want the invasion to happen.

"James, I still remember your face at the invasion. You were completely murderous, you killed my family without a second glance," I protested.

"I know, I know. It was wrong and horrible. I'm sorry and I know apologizing won't change the fact that your family won't come back."

I gasped in shock that James had actually apologized to me. His face was filled with sorrow and it was so unusual. How could he have changed his personality just in a matter of hours?

"What are you trying to say James?" Finn huffed.

"When I said we were experimenting on your kind, it was because Christopher wanted people with talents to take over the universe. It wasn't for you both to help our planet in all of honesty, I lied about that. He wants to examine you both though and see how you both adapted to your talents. Besides, I cannot experiment anymore because of the fact that Violet is dead."

My breath got caught on my throat and I felt my head throbbing. I didn't know Violet that well but I knew she probably went through a lot of pain. I rubbed my temples as I absorbed this. Whoever Christopher was, he was worse than James. He wanted to take over the universe for goodness sake.

"I don't want this happen," James continued, "I don't want to kill more innocents to take over the universe to have Christopher hurt and boss more people. I'm tired of experimenting and killing, I just want this to all stop."

I felt sudden sympathy for James suddenly. He was trapped in pressure by Christopher and was almost what seemed as if he was brainwashed. I wasn't exactly sure what James was saying, but I knew it was going to include Finn and me.

"Get to the point James," Finn probed.

"I want you both to help me kill Christopher. For your planet's sake, your sake, my sake, everyone's sake."

I blinked a couple of times and stared at James. He was completely serious as he stared back at me. His hands were curled together tightly in a fist and he looked as if he was going to break down.

"What do we have to do?" I asked, already giving in.

"Wait, wait, wait, and hold up Sapphire. How can we trust you, James? How do we know you aren't lying to us? Again," Finn questioned fiercely with his index finger pointing accusingly at James.

"What do you want from me? It took a whole lot for me to come out here and tell you all this. You think this is a joke? It fucking isn't. If you want your planet blown up to ashes, fine, ignore what I'm saying but you'll make a big mistake," James shouted.

James turned around and was about to rush off in anger but I called after him.

"James, wait!"

He paused but he didn't turn back around.

"I'm coming with you," I declared as I stepped over to James side.

"Sapphire! What the fuck are you doing? You are not going with him!" Finn demanded.

I had a gut feeling that if I didn't go with James, something even worst was going to happen to this planet. I glared at Finn suddenly feeling a rush of irritation at him.

"Finn, you can't control me. You either come with me or not."

Finn's jaw clenched as he started to get frustrated too.

"Fine."

Then, Finn strode back into the forest leaving James and I by ourselves. I was completely stunned at Finn's actions, I thought he cared about me. Why wouldn't he see this rationally? Clearly there is so much more out in the universe that we don't know about. We might be one of the only few humans alive, there must be something we can do to recover this disaster. I peered over to James and he was already studying me sadly.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you. You did the right thing," James comforted me.

"He's just stubborn," I replied, "So do you have a plan."

Hurt throbbed inside of me as I felt as though I've lost so much already. A huge part of me wished that Finn would come back and change his mind. Doing this alone was already an overwhelming thought but I was certain that I had some sort of duty to do.

"Of course, I'm going to take us to Planet Niribu," James answered confidently.