No Way Out

"What do you want?" Finn questioned fiercely, his hand now locked onto my arm protectively.

I was frozen into place completely shocked, I didn't have the strength to speak but only stare. The commander was wearing a clean long navy blue coat and a black shirt with along black pants. He had an amused expression as his eyes darted from Finn to me.

"How old are you?" He questioned Finn, disinterested in his own questions.

"Why should I tell you?" Finn snarled at him.

In almost what seemed to be in lightning speed, the commander shoved the barrel of the riffle into Finn's chest.

"I'll give you three seconds to rephrase your answer," the commander growled.

My body snapped into action in fear of Finn's life immediately and I went in between Finn and the rifle, Finn's hand slipped out of my arm.

"He's seventeen, okay? Don't hurt him please," I begged facing once again those piercing blue eyes of the commander.

The rifle lowered and he smirked gazing at me with interest sparking in his eyes.

"How lucky am I to find both of you at the right age and time. My name is James Sterling, how pleasant to find you again with your little friend. You both will be coming with me," James instructed with a snap of his fingers.

Men in gray uniform with guns came piling into the room and grabbed Finn and I before we could protest.

"Finn!" I screeched out as I got dragged away from him.

"Get off me! Sapphire!" Finn shouted as he grunted from struggling in the hold of two large men.

Tears prickled in my eyes as I too scuffled to be released. A sharp pain came into my neck abruptly and there was a burning sensation. I started breathing heavy as black spots prickled my vision. The last thing I saw was Finn getting ejected by a needle filled with green liquid into his neck by a man in gray uniform. I went limp into my captivator's arms.

****

I woke up with a sore spot on my neck, groaning. I tried to reach up and touch my neck but I was halted immediately because my hands were tied into the bedside.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I twisted my hands in the black wrapping. I then realized I was on a bed with white sheets laying on top of me. The room I was in was bare with white walls, this plain bed, a door in front of me, lights on the ceiling, and a tray next to me settled on a table with a pair of scissors along with a green liquid filled needle.

I inhaled a sharp breath started to plan on how to get out of here. I first tried moving my legs and I became aware that they weren't tied up. I also didn't have a pillow only these thin sheets of blankets. My lips started to tremble in fear, what were they going to do to me?

Unexpectedly, the door in front of me did a sound of unlocking and it swung opened. There revealed James and two men behind him armed with a gun. James was still wearing what he wore before but he didn't have his rifle anymore.

"Did you have a nice sleep?" James inquired with a tint of humor, the corner of his mouth twitching.

I squeezed my eyes shut wishing this was just a horrible dream but I opened them and James was beside me examining me.

"Please, tell me why you want us?" I demanded in a raspy voice thinking about Finn.

"I need your help," James explained carefully.

I squinted at him with curiosity and a mixture of panic.

"I'm going to show you how but when I release you, you must obey or I will break your fragile fingers one by one," James threatened with a stern look.

I gulped down and nodded slowly, my insides jumping with alarm. James went over to the tray and grabbed the silver metal scissors. He started to snip away the bindings quietly one by one. When he was done, I rose from the bed rubbing my wrists that were puffy and red.

James held a hand out to me and I cautiously placed my hand in it as I swung my legs off the bed. His touch sent an electrifying thrill down my spine. I hopped off into the ground and James led me towards the unbolted door. I was still wearing the same clothes and my stomach was growling with hunger now.

He monitored me watchfully as I walked side by side with him. Trust me, my whole body was aching to sprint out of here but I knew I couldn't unless I wanted a death wish.

There was a long white hallway in front of us as we strolled down it, hearing the men with their guns behind us. We took a sharp turn and James paused in front of a white door on the right.

Where were we? Where's Finn?

"Welcome to our laboratories," James introduced as he swung open the door.

Inside that room was Finn strapped onto a metal table up straight with a bruise blossoming on his left cheek.