Destroyed and founded

Finn was my best friend since we were little chubby five year olds. Our mothers were quite close friends and besides, we were neighbors. I'd like to think of it that we were meant to be friends forever. Very cliché but so very true.

I still recall memories and some moments from us going to elementary school, to middle school, to high school. We were connected by this strong bond sharing parts of our lives. Even through multiple fights, Finn and I always found each other back to laughing together. Our mothers always suspected us romantically involved, but that will never happen.

"We need to get supplies," Finn declared quietly rising up from his cotton blankets.

Finn and I have been camping out in this abandoned cellar for three days not stepping outside once because of danger. We were starting to run low on food and our clothes were filthy. The cellar was cracked, dirty, dark, and had mold in every corner. The air was stale and unpleasant, if I stayed here any longer I think I would suffocate before I could starve to death.

I nodded my head in agreement to Finn and started packing up our little campsite. My stomach became queasy as I glanced towards my personal things inside my backpack.

I don't even have a picture of my family, I didn't even get to say goodbye. I squeezed my eyes tightly and dug my nails into the skin of my palm. Don't think of it, be strong, that's what they would've want. I stood up after I packed my belongings and approached Finn waiting patiently at the staircase.

"Watch your step," He murmured as he started to go up the slightly damaged steps.

The staircase was wooden and had some steps missing while others was cracked. Finn and I had to be extremely cautious because one wrong step can get us injured. Cautiously, we reached the top and Finn unfastened the latch to the upper level of the house.

I was expecting fresh air as I took a deep breath but instead inhaled dust. I coughed immediately and Finn started slapping me on the back.

"I'm okay," I wheezed his gestures a little too harsh.

Finally, I observed my surroundings outside the cellar and my mouth gaped open. The house was completely demolished, it wasn't even a house anymore. I didn't even realize what condition this building was in when Finn and I ran for our lives into that cellar.

It was morning and the sun was blossoming into the sky with shades of pink, orange, and yellow. It was the only pretty thing surrounding the ugliness.

Again, Finn and I had to be alert because the wreckage could potentially get us injured with all these broken parts. Finn gripped my hand tightly to assist me, his palm fitted perfectly in mine.

As we made through our way out of the house wreck, we stepped onto the street. The whole entire neighborhood was filled of damaged houses rather it was a complete disaster, burnt, or it's about to become a complete disaster. The thing that really frighten me was the fact that it was utterly quiet.

Finn and I trudged along the street looking for a house that could likely have some sort of supply we could use or eat. I then noticed our hands were still intertwined. I guess it made sense he was still assuring me since there was cracks on the street.

I examined Finn now that we were strolling hand in hand through a catastrophe. He was tall with dark brown hair and chestnut colored eyes with a tint of yellow. Finn was good-looking of course, any girl would be lucky to have him. He's strong, thoughtful, humorous, but very impatient at times.

I was so deep into thought that I didn't realize Finn's hand moved from my hand to my shoulder shaking me.

"Hey, snap out of it. Let's go check out that house it looks like it's in a okay shape," Finn pronounced with a concerned look on his face.

"Oh, yeah, sorry," I mumbled as I directed my attention towards the house Finn was speaking about.

He was right about the house being in a well enough condition. It was a pretty white modern house with a wooden door and pastel blue window frames. Cracks traveled along the walls and ash covered half of the house but it didn't hurt to search for supplies in it.

Finn and I roamed over to the house towards the dark oak door. Finn's hand grasped the door handle and turned it as the view inside the house came to place.

My breath got caught in my throat and my eyes widen as I took a step inside the house. It was so... clean. There was miscellaneous types of furniture everywhere from coaches, tables, and such but all of it was spotless.

Finn cursed and muttered, "This isn't right."

I twirled towards Finn to face him and whispered, "We should leave."

"But you both just came," a deep familiar voice remarked.

My heart stopped and my head whipped towards the voice. I stared to see a figure lurking in the shadowy corner. The person stepped out into the dim light and there stood the same blonde commander from the night of the invasion with a riffle in his right hand.