6; Soccer, good luck charms, and Spanish Vogue

Violet

I have to admit, standing up to Zayn felt good. Really good. I can’t get his shocked expression out of my mind from when I purposely knocked his books out of his hands. He definitely didn’t see that coming. I want to keep doing things like that to surprise him. To show him I’m really not who he thinks I am.

I walk down the halls to my English class, praying to God that Zayn isn’t in my English as well. It’s going to be bad enough sitting next to him in Chemistry without his timetable perfectly matching mine. I don’t need my whole year ruined.

I enter my class and sit in my seat at the front, waiting for Liam’s arrival. Ever since our first year here, Liam and I have been in the same English class. Liam says it’s lucky, I say it’s fate. Whatever it is, it keeps happening for us, and I’m completely fine with it. Liam’s also in my Maths, and he helps me out with our work all the time. I admit I play a little dumb to get more attention.

"Hey, you’re here early." Liam sits down beside me.

"Got out of Chemistry early," I say. Actually, I just wanted to get away from Zayn as quick as possible.

"Lucky you." Liam smiles. “By the way, how is Chemistry going?"

"Fine. We’re not working on anything big yet. I think we have a huge project coming up soon." Avery was already telling me I was going to be her partner.

Liam leans forward in his chair, resting his arms on the table. “I wish I took Chemistry over Biology," he says. “Chemistry sounds way cooler."

I shrug. “All sciences are pretty much the same boring thing."

Liam laughs. “Can’t argue with you there."

Mrs. Ellery walks in, her long flower print skirt swaying across the ground. She tells us all to read silently for twenty minutes, something she usually says when she can’t be bothered teaching. She doesn’t even notice that no one silently reads.

"You coming to the game tonight?" Liam asks me.

"Of course!" I don’t even know why he asked, I love watching Liam play soccer. Mainly because of the way he looks when he’s doing it, but also because he’s so good. We basically always win. The only downside to it all? Having to watch Brittany do her cheer routine and then make out with Liam.

"Great. You know you’re my good luck charm."

The first game Liam played, I sat in the fifth row on the bleachers and wore my brown jacket and Liam’s team won 15-2. Now call us crazy, but the next game I sat in the exact same place and wore the exact same jacket, and they won again. Every single game Liam’s played, and won, I’ve worn my brown jacket and sat in the fifth row. Liam says it’s totally not a coincidence, and that I’m his good luck charm. He won’t let me go against the brown jacket or the fifth row in fear that he’ll lose. It’s worked every time. Also, magically, my brown jacket still fits me perfectly after three years and the spot in the fifth row has always been free. Everyone else fills up the bleachers but no one sits in my spot. That’s pretty magical in itself, really.

"I’ll be there wearing my brown jacket and sitting in the fifth row." I grin.

"You’re a star, Violet."

I smile and blush all at once.

"Maybe we should read," I say, avoiding his gaze which happens to be frozen on me.

"Why? Because everyone else is?"

I look around the class to see one girl painting her nails, five guys down the back trying to toss paper balls into the bin, and everyone else talking amongst their selves. Liam’s right, no one else is reading. And it looks as though Mrs. Ellery doesn’t even notice, or just doesn’t care.