42; Relations, doubts and chicken salad sandwiches

**This chapter is dedicated to my home gurl hxrrystyles love you chica xxx**

Violet

It takes me a while to generate the words that come casually flying out of Zayn's mouth, and even then I still haven't processed it fully. He sits there on his bed looking expectantly up at me and my legs begin to feel weak. I'm so overwhelmed that I burst out laughing.

"Okay, good one," I snort, clinging to the door frame to steady myself.

He stands up, rubbing his palms awkwardly on his jeans. "I'm, uh, serious."

I stop laughing. Suddenly this isn't funny anymore. My eyes widen. WHAT THE HELL?! Is he absolutely insane? I don't understand, I don't get it. What's the punch line? What's the aim? My heard starts to spin.

"I-I-I don't understand," I stammer, looking up at him.

He takes a deep breath, something I've come to realise he does when he's nervous. Why is he nervous? "My cousin's getting married next week in my hometown, Bradford," he says. SO?! "And I just ... I don't know why I did it. My mum's always putting all this pressure on me and I just feel ... whatever. I told her I had a girlfriend, and that I'd bring her along for the holidays."

I push past him, rubbing my temples as I try and process all this foreign information. I still don't get it. Girlfriend? Two weeks? He has to be joking. This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. "So let me get this straight," I begin softly. "You told your mum you had a girlfriend, and that you'd bring her along as your date to the wedding."

Zayn nods. "Well, for the whole two weeks."

"And you told her this because you felt that if you had a girlfriend it'd get her off your back because you'd show her just how worthy you are," I continue. "So you want me to pretend to be your girlfriend?"

Zayn looks relieved. "Thank god, I knew you would under-"

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!" I scream.

He goes silent.

I can't believe him. What the hell goes on in his mind? How did he actually think this plan would work? I pace around the room, my stress levels high. I can't do this. There's no way I can do this. Zayn's girlfriend? His family? His house? I think I'm going to faint.

"Okay, Princess, just calm down," Zayn soothes, arms outstretched towards me like I'm a vicious dog. "Just calm down. Hear me out, alright?"

"Oh, I don't think that's necessary," I snap. "I've heard more than enough."

"I need you to do this," he says. "I wouldn't be asking if I didn't, you know that." And the desperation in his voice tells me he's telling the truth. It's enough for me to nod and listen. He runs his hands agitatedly through his hair, and I can tell he's just as stressed out about this concept as I am. But he doesn't have the right; he's the one that thought it would be a good idea. "Going back home alone would just prove to my parents that I'm no good, that this place isn't working out. And so I just ... I just thought that if I had someone with me, someone that showed my stability here, well, it'd show my parents that I'm doing well here. I mean, introducing them to a girlfriend would show them that I'm settling down, that I actually made the commitment. I don't make commitments, but this ... I ... you get it?"