55; Rain, Teen Spirit, and goodbyes

**CAUTION - slightttt sexual content (yes u heard right) AND REALLY SAD STUFF. BEWARE**

Zayn

I race after Violet, bursting through the exit doors and stumbling out onto the concrete outside. She’s already ahead, moving quickly down the street, and I keep running. She needs to understand that it’s not so easy. She needs to understand that she’s not the only one who’s so afraid.

“Hey!” I yell and I see her flinch. I’m a mixture of emotions, but I decide it’s finally time to unleash them all. It’s my turn to reveal my feelings. “You don’t get to do this!”

She spins around, her hair draping over her face and giving her a sense of protection she’s never had before. “Do what?!” She yells. “I’m protecting myself. It’s what I need to do. I’m leaving, Zayn. I’m catching a bus and I’m leaving today.”

“So that’s just it, huh? You’re running away?”

“I’m running away from nothing!” She starts walking again, but I can’t let her go that easily. I jog after her.

“You’re running away from everything!” I cry. “You think that if you just turn your back on it all, then eventually it’ll all go away. But it doesn’t! It can’t!” I look at her as she just stands side on, trying to not look at me. “You’re a fucking coward.”

I’m a coward?” She fights back. “Take a look at yourself, Zayn! Who even are you? You hide behind so many covers that I don’t even know who the hell you really are. You act like you can handle it all, but you can handle none of it. You’re worthless. You’re stupid and useless and I wish I never met you. You never do anything for yourself, you’re pathetic, Zayn. Always relying on everyone else. So don’t you dare point the finger at me when it hasn’t even been pointed at yourself first.”

My breath catches in my throat and I feel something deep within me break. She begins walking again, and again I follow her. “Fuck you,” is all I can manage to say through the tears stinging my eyes.

“Yeah? Fuck you. Fuck you, Zayn,” she spits.

“Stop acting like you’re so strong,” I say. “Because you never were. You were always vulnerable, always fragile.”

“I am not fragile!”

“But you are! Just look at yourself! I’m not fooled by your act. I know the real you.”

Her eyes are wild. “You know nothing,” she says furiously.

“You wear your hair up,” I begin, “and it’s not because it’s a cover. Your face is never covered, always plain and natural and just open. You dress comfortably, soft colours. You blend in, Princess, because you’re too damn afraid of standing out. You hate attention because of the constant fear of judgement, the fear that if people look closesly enough then they’ll understand who you really are. You stick to where you feel safe, because any sign of danger or risk scares you. The idea that someone could really know you scares the hell out of you.” I pause, just looking at her. “The idea that it’s me, and that I’ve accepted it long ago, well that scares you the most, doesn’t it?”