36; Sugar, mustard sweatshirts, and broken friendship

Violet

The screams are deafening, so much so that it's made everything else blur. I can feel my body ache although every nerve seems to be frozen. I've never been so scared before, about anything. I close my eyes, unable to watch.

My fingers are sore but I don't know why, they clench around something that makes me feel safe, but I'm burning. I'm burning from the touch.

"Hey, y'all!"

My eyes snap open at the sudden American twang, and the screams die down a little. Through the darkness, lit up with a flashlight, are two adults emerging from the trees. They come to a stop in front of us all and look at us with wide eyes.

"Oh, heavens! Did we scare you?"

My heart almost stops beating, but I'm totally relieved. Because it's just a couple from the camping ground. I don't know what else I thought it would be, but it certainly had me terrified.

Someone's still screaming and it takes me a while to realise it's Niall.

"Shut up!" Zayn turns around and then sees Niall cuddling into Zayn's shoulder, gripping his arm tight and fearing for his life as he continues to scream. Zayn immediately smacks him. "Oh, my god! Get the fuck off!"

I laugh and then Zayn looks at me, his eyebrows creasing as he looks down, then back up, then down; more slower, then back up; really, really slowly. He gulps.

I follow his gaze and see that I am in fact holding onto his arm. And not just holding it, I am gripping onto that thing like it's my only lifeline in a deep ocean. My fingers are white, my nails sunken into his shirt fabric, and my heart, oh man, my heart is doing somersaults.

My lips form a small 'o' and I casually unwrap my fingers from him, my entire face as red as a tomato. How embarrassing! I know he's looking at me, but I can't meet his gaze. I have no explanation for this.

"Um," Zayn says awkwardly.

"Er," I say back.

"Yeah," he says.

"Mhhm," I reply.

We both look quickly away.

"Oh, no," Harry says, finally giving the woman in the loud shirt an answer. "We just always scream bloody murder this hour of the night. It helps us sleep."

"I think we scared the children, Betty," the man says to his wife.

"Oh, I am so terribly sorry," Betty cries, holding a hand to her chest. "George, I told you we should've called out. Didn't I tell you?"

The man sighs, his green Hawaiian shirt billowing in the wind. "You certainly did. You always do."