41; Fifa, good break ups, and an awkward deal

Zayn

I didn't expect Violet to act like she did about this whole thing of Emily and I. It was almost like she was jealous. It's kind of funny, I knew she would be. She pretends that she isn't, but she totally is. Can't blame her, though.

But also, I thought I could do this, go along with the act. But it's so much harder than I thought. I feel nothing for Emily apart from lust, and unfortunately that isn't enough to keep pretending. It's not enough of a distraction.

I stand in my bathroom, brushing my teeth and looking at myself in the mirror. I don't really know what to think when I look at myself; am I proud? Not really. I'm not disgusted either. It's sort of in between; like who I'm looking at isn't even me. And I keep looking and just keep looking until I kind of go dizzy, and reality is distorted.

Same thing that happens when I look at Violet.

Zayn, no. What are you doing? Don't let her take control over you! I spit out my toothpaste and walk back into my dorm, changing into a fresh shirt.

"Zayn-o!" Niall bursts through the door. It's Saturday morning and in just two days the holidays are starting. Again. I'm trying to avoid going home, but I'm just waiting for the phone call from my mum. "What are your plans for the hols?"

"I am not going camping again," I snort.

Niall laughs, pointing at me. "Good one. No, seriously though."

I shrug. "I don't know. I'll probably have to go home. You?"

"Avery and I are staying at her parent's cabin in Cumbria. You can come if you want?"

That sounds like something not even Satan would want to do. "Yeah, I'll pass."

He shrugs. "Whatever. Hey, after we come back there's only like a month left of school. Crazy, huh?"

Now that I think about it, it actually is. High school is almost over. I have no idea what I'm going to do after this. Westlake is my safety, I can't leave. Where do I go next? Home certainly isn't an option, neither is university.

"Shit, really?" I say. "What are you doing afterwards?"

Niall grins, as if he's been waiting his whole life for me to ask this question. "Avery and I are going travelling, well, hopefully. We've always planned to."

I shake my head, biting back a smile. "You're gonna spend your whole life with that girl, aren't you?"

He smiles genuinely. "I can't imagine life without her, mate. I'm never letting her go."

I laugh and slap his back. "I'll talk to you later, I gotta go see Emily."

"Oh yeah, I heard about you two. What's going on?"