53; Drunken slurs, jam toast, and advice

Zayn

I hang onto every single one of Violet's words, each one breaking me just a little bit more. She’s so vulnerable, and I’ve never realised. It actually brings me incredible pain to see her so hurt, and my mind is racing and my limbs are aching to just hold her. I figured if I just held her tightly enough, then all the pain would go away. If I gave her enough security then maybe she’d feel truly safe, and nothing could ever get to her again. I’d be like her force shield, protecting her from everything, and I’d just hold her and hold her and never ever let her go, because she’s meant to be in my arms. A new warmth arises within me when I just hold her, just protect her. Because when I do, I’m not only providing safety for her, but for myself. And it’s twisted, but it’s what works. Violet and I need each other.

And so we were supposed to just stay there forever, never letting each other go. Then she goes and throws up all over my shoes.

“Oh, my god.” Violet steps away from me, wiping her mouth. And just like that, she’s acting like a normal drunk person would. Just as I thought I was close to figuring her out, she turns on me again, and it drives me absolutely mad that I can’t understand her. “Zayn, oh, my, god. Did I just …”

I look down and wince, shaking my feet around. “Nice.”

She bursts into a huge fit of giggles. “Oh, my god! Zayn, I am sooooo sorry. Your shoes! Zaaayyn, I am soooo sorrryyyy.”

I sigh. I’m gonna need to deal with this. I knew this would happen. I’m not good at looking after drunk people, I have no idea what to do. I mean, I usually just sleep it all off, myself. But this is Violet, and I need to protect her.

“I think it’s time to go home,” I tell her. I wrap an arm around her waist and drape hers over my shoulder to secure her against me. “Come on.”

“Aw, Zayn!” She cries. “Not yet!”

“It’s time, babe.”

“What did you just call me?”

I turn to her. “I, uh, sorry. It was just instinctive.”

She smiles lazily at the ground. “I liked it.”

I pull her up tighter and edge forward as her feet shuffle beside me. “You’re definitely the emotional drunk.”

She rests her head on my shoulder as we walk through the trees, sticking carefully to the lit up paths. “You’re so pretty,” she says, petting my head.

I wince as she literally smacks me and reach up to remove her hand, patting it delicately. “Okay, babe. Come on, keep walking.”

“Are you going to return the compliment?” She slurs angrily.

I look down at her. “What?”

“Tell me I’m pretty.”

I roll my eyes. “You’re very pretty.”