37; Empty schools, sunshine, and a hundred roses

Zayn

"Niall, come on." I follow the leprechaun up the stairs, the sound of his suitcase thumping loudly against each step. He gives a dramatic shake of his head and throws his nose in the air, making it clear that he's ignoring me.

"I don't want to talk to you right now, Zayn. And that hurts me a lot, but it's true. I hope you understand."

We reach the top of the stairs and I pull him to a stop. He doesn't look me in the eye and I shake his shoulders, sighing as he acts like a total child and looks everywhere but at me.

"Please take your hands off me."

"Why are you blaming this on me?!" I cry as he delicately removes my hands from his shoulders and walks ahead.

He turns back around and gives a small sigh. "I'm not. I-I I'm sorry, Zayn. I love you, I really, really do. But I'm just kind of pissed."

"So what, your little trip got ruined; it's not the end of the world," I declare.

He looks at me with a mixture of sadness and hurt. "It wasn't just a trip, Zayn!" He cries. "It was supposed to be a special time for us all to bond and create memories. I wanted us all to get along."

"Well, we were for a second," I say. And it's true; we were. I don't even know what happened to throw us all off but it's definitely caused a rift between us. And looking at Niall, and seeing how hurt he is, I know how important this whole thing was for him. I've come to learn that Niall only really loves a few things in this world, everything else comes second. The first is Avery, the second is food, and the third is friendship. As incredibly lame as that is, it's what he values. And to see everyone like this, well, it must have him all broken up inside.

"And now what do we have?" Niall shakes his head. "Whatever; it's ruined."

He starts to walk again and I reach out and stop him, my hand on his arm. He looks at me expectantly and I realise I actually don't know what to say. I can't say that it's going to get better, because I don't even know if it will. Plus, I almost feel a total hatred towards the others for doing this to Niall. He was only trying to get us all to bond. And I don't think I want to see them again; especially Violet.

"You have me," I smile as assuring as possible. "And I'm not going anywhere." I cringe at my statement, but it makes Niall absolutely light up.

"Oh, Zayn-o!" He cries, gripping me in a bone crushing hug. "I was hoping you'd say that! It's just us two against the world."

"Right, right." I awkwardly push him off me and look around, hoping no one saw. But of course they wouldn't, no one's even here. I think I just realised how lonely and empty the school feels, and that we're literally the only ones here; well, maybe apart from a few lurkers that decided to stay back. What the hell is there to do now?

Niall and I head up to our dorm, unlocking it and throwing our bags down. I have to say it's nice being home. And I really do think it is a sense of home. It's my new home, my space, and well, Niall's not that bad of a roommate.