12; Painting, Nirvana, and pianos

Violet

"Violet!"

I grin at all the children that surround me with beaming smiles that are almost falling off their faces. They wrap their small arms around me and start squealing in delight over my arrival.

"Hi, everyone!" I look down at them all, trying to break free from their tight grasp. "Hey, Max, Lisa, Katie, Timmy. Ruben, you look so much better!"

"Welcome back, Violet." Karen smiles at me as she passes, holding Lily by the hand. "We've all certainly missed you."

"I'm sorry it's been so long," I apologise. I usually don't go too far between the times I visit the Child Cancer Foundation, but lately I've just been so caught up with school that I didn't even have time. But, it's still no excuse. I promised these kids that I'd always come to see them, and I have been doing so ever since I first started at Westlake. Volunteering here wasn't really part of my plan, but I came in here once for a project for school, and I bonded so much with the kids that I had to come back. Plus, this foundation needs all the help they can get. So, frequently, I stop in and hang out with the kids. It takes their minds off of things for a while. Mine, too.

"Hi, Violet." A sudden small voice appears from below me.

I look down to see Willow, her big brown eyes shining back at me. I know you're not meant to have favourites, but Willow kind of is mine. She's the most prettiest thing I've ever seen, and at only aged 4, she's very quiet and shy. I've had many of the staff here tell me that Willow absolutely loves me, and the thought of me being this girl's idol, well, it kind of makes me all warm inside.

"Hey, Willow!" I bend down and grab her outstretched hand and feel her fingers wrap tightly around mine. I ignore the bruises all along her arm. "What do you wanna do today?"

"Paints." She smiles and I see all but one tooth.

"Paints? Let's go." I pick her up and walk her towards the 'Arts and Crafts' table and sit her down. I hand her a piece of paper and make sure she can reach the variety of different paint colours.

"Alright," I say as I sit down beside her. "What do you wanna paint?"

She hesitates for a bit. "Flower."

"Good choice. What colour?"

"Violet." She looks at me and smiles.

I can't help but smile back before handing her the purple paint and a brush. She dips the brush into the pot of paint and starts sweeping it across the page. She has such a natural talent for painting. I know she could do so well in the future.

"Hey, Violet. Where've you been?" One of the older kids, Levi, sits down beside me.

I smile at his new bandanna. It's bright green today with soccer balls dotted along it. Levi's always been so mad about soccer. I took him to watch Liam play once and he's never let me forget that that was the best day of his life. That was during the early stages of his illness, though. I can't take him out now, he's much too sick.