13; Soul mates, janitor's closets, and unbuttoned shirts

Zayn

"All great actors have learnt to channel their emotions, and really feel them. And make others feel them, too. It's a way of reading a script, and knowing exactly how to show it. Pair up and work on emotions." Mrs. Parker claps her hands and shoos us off.

"Hey, Zayn?"

I look up from beneath my eyelashes and see Carter awkwardly standing in front of me, fiddling with his tie. "I, er, I ... um-"

"Spit it out, Carter."

He gulps and looks at me. Fucking hell. The kid is as weak as a shrivelled leaf on the sidewalk. "I just wanted to thank you for what you did. For me."

I stand up from my chair and step to the side, turning my back to him. He doesn't take this as a hint that I don't want to talk about the stupid fight.

"No, really. You stood up for me, and I-I didn't think you would. I didn't think anyone would. I'm really sorry you got hurt. Joel's an asshole."

I turn back to him. "Why don't you fight back?"

He looks down at his hands. "I-I can't."

I'm angry now. He's just trying to be useless. "You can! You don't even try. You just sit there and take it."

"Joel's much bigger than I am. I-"

"Bullshit," I say through clenched teeth. "That's bullshit, Carter."

He avoids my gaze.

I sigh. "Look, no one else is going to stand up for you. You need to learn to do it yourself."

"Can you teach me?"

I look sideways at him. "What?"

"Teach me. How to fight."

"Uh, no. I don't think that's a good idea."

"Please, Zayn. You're my only hope to stand up to him." His eyes grow sad.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair before putting my hand on his shoulder. "Alright. I'm just gonna teach you a few certain things. Then you'll leave me alone, right?"

He nods and grins.

"Okay. First; stand up."

"Stand up?"

"Yeah. Stand up."

"Zayn, I don't understand."

I sigh. "Stand up. To him! Stand up so you're at his level."