Part 54

When I got outside I saw Mel nodding her head to some song inside of her car. I walk up to the car and tap loudly on the glass. I watched as Mel jumped and place her hand over her chest. She rolled down the window and glared at me.

"What the fuck is wrong with you? I thought that you were like trying to rob me or something!" she hissed.

"Because most robberies take place inside of a car parked in a house's driveway while the person's still inside of the car," I retort.

"Whatever, how'd it go?"

"Alright, I guess. We talked a little abou- wait. Were you parked outside of his house the whole time?"

"Yeah."

"So you're saying that if I just walked out you would have been there and I wouldn't have had to talk to him at all?"

"I mean yeah, but you did talk to him so let's not talk about what could have happened."

"What would you have done if I just got out of his house?"

Mel thought for a while. "I didn't think that far ahead."

"Sweet baby Jesus."

"Stop criticizing me and just thank me. So, like are you guys going out now or something?" Mel questioned leaning into the seat.

"No, I have a boyfriend."

"Jesus Christ, Y/N! You guys were supposed to talk about your relationship and realize that you guys were madly in love with each other and share a passionate kiss then embrace while whispering sweet nothings in each other's ears."

"Who are you?

Mel frowned. "So none of the above happened?"

"You couldn't have been further off."

"Oh. So what happened?"

"I realized that I am in love with Jason and the only reason why I've been mopey is because I don't know how to handle my immense love for him."

"What?"

"I'm just fucking with you, can I have my phone?"

"Aight." She dug in her glove compartment for something and finally handed me my phone.

I gave her back her remote thing. "If you want the other thing you'll have to get it off of Harry yourself. Bye."

"Wait, Y/N!"

...

I waited patiently for Jason to arrive. I fiddled around with my thumbs nervously. I immediately dashed to the door when I heard the doorbell ring.

Jason stood there smiling widely. "Hey."

"Hey."

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah."

Again, our conversation was awkward.

Well, that actually doesn't say a lot because my whole life is awkward.

As we got into the car I immediately thought my plan over. Okay, I'm gonna just tell him that it isn't working out and that I don't want our relationship to ruin our friendship. I'm gonna let him down easy and hopefully there will be no further conflict. "Jason, I actually wanted to talk to you about something?"

"Okay, what's up?"

I looked over at him. He was smiling as he was driving. He occasionally mouthed the words to a lyric that came up on the radio that he liked and his smile would grow even more. What's wrong with me? Jason is so cool and likeable. There is not a single reasonable reason why I should not like him romantically. Why is it that out of all of the things that I can do, this is my one act of defiance and its toward myself?