Chapter 1: Homecoming

**Start of Book 3: Eleanor's Demise**

~🕊~

The moment Eleanor realized that her plan had worked, she felt liberated.

It has been almost a full year since she had faked her death, ran away from civilization, and forever since she'd last touched the handsome face of Adam Carnegie- more like slapped.

He was on the news every so often, she was sure he had been spotted outside a café with a different girl a while ago. And possibly other girls since then, Eleanor never took him for ever becoming a player, but people change when something traumatic happens- something like losing the love of their life to a truck. It hurt her to know that Adam had moved on, after a whole year of her death, he had finally gotten over her and no longer seemed to mourn the wretched day she'd taken her life. It had crushed Eleanor's poor heart to know how much her demise affected him.

But then again, nobody could imagine the unbelievable pain he felt at the moment he had found out she was dead. He was robotic for weeks on end, unable to get over the fact that the woman he loved so dearly was no longer in his life.

It was a tragic death, the death of the billionaire's wife who was oh-so-very depressed that she threw herself in the middle of a busy street a while past midnight and was killed by a semi-truck. It had all been perfectly timed, and Eleanor appreciated that God went along with her sick plan and let it work out. They never found her body, obviously, just blood and fresh on the floor crushed and splayed all over and assumed it was her.

She was that wife, but the reasons behind her death go far deeper than a dissatisfied relationship with her husband. Because she was most definitely not at all dissatisfied. She loved- loves- Adam Carnegie, yet it was his father that she'd had a problem with. In Eleanor's mind, her disappearance was totally worth it.

She had killed Mr. Carnegie, Adam's horrid father, the devilish man who arranged her marriage then forced her husband to annul it a year later. A cryptic way of showing how much he hated seeing other people happy together.

His entire motive was a stupid high school heartbreak. Eleanor's mother had left him and he wanted payback. Those were some of the things inscribed inside a journal that he had carefully hidden under one of the his indoor plants which rested beside the chlorine filled pool.

Which is why Eleanor felt so relieved watching him rot away the night she'd poisoned him. He was smiling over an article about her death and two weeks later there was one written about his.

Karma's a bitch.

She had decided to hide out ever since. Nobody would suspect that a dead woman could commit such a heinous crime. In Eleanor's devious and manipulative heart was a small patch that had been sewed up. A patch that felt guilt toward deciding someone's fate because that someone was trying to decide hers.

But he had done so much evil to her, so damn much that she couldn't take it anymore. By attempting to destroy the fragile marriage between his son and Eleanor Carnegie, he had created a burning hatred toward himself- one that could have only ended as it did.

Eleanor tried to push those thoughts as far away from her mind as possible. It hurt her way too much to think about Adam, especially now.

She couldn't recall the insane amount of nights that she had wished Adam's brown eyes and sturdy arms would engulf her and his soft lips could kiss her until she slept.

That was until she had been spotted, but not by Adam- or anyone that could remotely distinguish her with the prestigious Eleanor Carnegie. That girl was dead.