Chapter 24: Madness

"Looks like you couldn't stay away," Adam laughed as Eleanor stood by the gate, he couldn't contain the smile that formed when the woman that looked just like his wife stood just a few feet away. He could stare at her forever.

"I just wanted to make sure that the driver delivered my message." She smiled, trying to avoid Adam's eyes. She had to get him to love her- easier to say than to do. And for the stupid reason that Magdalene has given her- or at least tried to threaten, she was afraid and incapable of doing anything but remaining trapped in her own mind.

"Yes, Max did- there won't be any awkwardness between us. In fact, would you like to get a cup of coffee? You can come in?"

"Oh- I don't drink coffee. Tea is fine though." Eleanor spoke, knowing she was playing off what Adam knew of her already.

"You know, my late wife didn't like coffee much either. And I think we've established this, but you look a lot like her." His cheeky smile and warmth radiated from his eyes. The sun never seemed to set in New Jersey.

"Yeah, I get that a lot." She laughed, "Stephanie Cooper even named me after her. What was she like?"

She knew she was milking him for compliments right now, but knowing Adam- he wouldn't give her what she expected.

"Uh... I would rather not talk about her anymore, it... hurts..still."

She nodded, slightly annoyed that he refused to go into a one hour monologue about how Eleanor was the greatest thing that ever happened to him and how he missed her oh so dearly. Or that she was possibly the worst thing that happened to him, yours to decide.

"So- Mr. Carnegie, how big is this house?" Eleanor asked in the silence, glancing around.

Adam chuckled, "pretty big, why?"

"I was wondering if you could give me a tour." She simply said, feeling breathless as her thoughts encapsulated her. She looked at him with slow breaths as he took a sip of his coffee and handed her her tea.

"Sure, Allison." He put his cup onto the marble countertop of their kitchen island where she'd sat so many times before. He noticed her change, but didn't mind or say a thing about it. She wasn't sure what Magdalene's intentions were with Adam, but she wouldn't let them happen. If she felt Adam didn't love her, he probably didn't.

"You know Mr. Carnegie, you're pretty cute." Eleanor blurted and then her eyes widened at what she had just said.

"Thank you..." he took a short pause before scratching the back of his neck, "Allison, is there any other reason you came by today? I mean besides making sure you delivered your message- and besides the tour of my home?"

"I... I just wanted to see you." She smiled sincerely, knowing she was following Magdalene's orders yet not caring enough to give a damn.

Adam took a contemplative sigh before turning to meet her eyes once again. They looked too familiar.

"Well, perhaps it's best if you leave now." He sternly said. "Allison, I'll be honest with you. I don't know if you're here for my money, but considering you're a model, that pretty much sums it up. You should know I am engaged and to be married very soon."

Eleanor raised an eyebrow, suddenly embarrassed.

"I understand Mr. Carnegie. I wasn't here for the money, I just wanted to get to know the man who has the biggest heart." Among other things, Eleanor thought.

"Mr. Carnegie, Magdalene is here, should I invite her in?" A welcome interruption came when Max stepped in. He seemed to be taking the role of Adam's right hand man since his father was no longer in the picture.

Adam glanced at Eleanor before nodding at Max. His deep brown eyes at her made her think unimaginable things- things she should definitely not be thinking of. She'd learned that she couldn't stay away- but for how much longer could she pretend he had no history with her, that she didn't have feelings for him.

"Adam!" Magdalene stormed into the living room, screeching as she held a tiny ring in-between her index finger and thumb. "Look, I have waited way too long. Okay, listen I know we haven't been on the best terms lately..." she paused when she spotted Eleanor, an unnoticeable smile forming at the corners of her lips as she realized the girl would oblige to her plan.

"Maybe I should get going." Eleanor glared at Magdalene as Adams eyes shot between the two beautiful women.

"No- wait, you don't have to go." Magdalene gave her a warning look and a sideways glance to Adam. A gesture meaning stay and fulfill our plan, or else.

"What's going on Mags?" Adam asked, standing from his seat and loosening the tie around his neck a bit, he had on a blue button down shirt with a black tie that matched his freshly-ironed pants.

"I just think we need a break Adam. I don't know if we were clear with each other- the other day but I don't understand why you keep putting off our wedding! Maybe it shouldn't happen! Maybe it's too soon, we should wait don't you think." Eleanor's mouth fell wide open- had Magdalene actually just said those hurtful words to her husband?!

Adam looked flustered- embarrassed even as Magdalene proceeded to leave her engagement ring right beside Eleanor and began her storm of terror out of his home.

"And by the way- call me when you're ready to be mature and actually marry me..." she shouted, giving everyone a sickening taste of the poison inside her. Eleanor couldn't hide the scowl she gave her as the tiny little bitch left Adam's house. The damage was just completed and there was no going back for her and Adam. Another idea came to mind for Eleanor- maybe she could get Adam to fall in love with her all over again. And not break up with him ever- now that Mr. Hank Carnegie was completely and utterly gone. She was going to do it. Be selfish for once- or for the billionth time.

As soon as the door shut, silence filled the room and Eleanor cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry about that Allison," Adam's face was stone cold. "Maybe you should get going..." He wouldn't meet eyes with her, he just stared at the ring beside her. Eleanor wondered if he had done anything about the wedding ring that Magdalene had carelessly tossed down her sink drain, but she didn't dare ask. She felt like she had gone back into his life to ruin it again for old times sake and she hated it.

"Uh..." Eleanor began, "Mr. Carnegie, I really don't think you should be alone- especially not now. I mean the last time something like this happened, you spiraled into a pit of self hatred and I..." she paused, she was saying too much.

"I thought you didn't know who I was." He raised a full brow.

"I did some research." She blushes casually as she continued her monologue. Allison didn't know Adam and she had to be better at not knowing him. She had to not know about every nook and cranny of Adam Carnegie, she had to not know about what really happened with Eleanor Carnegie. She had to act like a stranger, something she had thought she was finally accustomed to. "Hey, how about we go somewhere. As friends if I can be so lucky to call you that Mr. Carnegie." She stood up and placed a hand on his arm. She felt his muscle tense then release.

"Allison- what?" He smirked now, his eyes shifting from hers to the spot on his arm she was still touching. He refused to allow himself to realize that it burned- that it felt like heaven to have the tender touch on his bicep.

"Am I not being forward enough Mr. Carnegie?"

"Call me Adam." He breathed now, standing a little too close for a causal friend. He didn't know this girl that looked like Eleanor- but he had every intention of finding out who she was- especially now that Magdalene had decided to take a temporary break to their relationship and left a powerful signifier of their engagement ring on his countertop. Eleanor's fingers ran down his arm and she placed his hand into his.

"Call me Ally." Eleanor smiled at him with pearly white teeth. Maybe he was easily seduced, but he had never been before- or maybe he was just heartbroken. Had he actually loved Magdalene?

——