Chapter 15: Night

"Get out." Adam commanded.

"You're only mad because you thought your precious Eleanor was still alive. You can thank me later for enlightening you!" Eleanor couldn't leave without having said those words, she wanted him to hate her, to squirm to the point where he would never want to see her again.

"Elena, get the fuck out of my car." He glared at her red hair, turning his body to face her now and dangerously inching closer. He hardly ever swore, therefore she must have royally pissed him off.

"You don't have to tell me twice." Eleanor said with the same poisonous tone of voice, matching his toxic glare with her own.

"Your passion toward this subject makes you seem suspicious Elena." Eleanor snapped her head toward him, his face seemed calm but there was a burning tension in his voice. She took a deep breath and inched closer to him, so close she wished he would kiss her like old times. But she wasn't her. Eleanor was a figment of her imagination now, she had a rude awakening, she had to forget about herself.

"You only wish I was suspicious. I'm just speaking the truth." She lied, poison dripping from her voice. Their breaths melded and neither one backed away, enraged at one another and neither daring to back down.

Adam wasn't about to stand down, his face hovered over hers, forcing his eyes to challenge hers. Eleanor controlled her hitching breath and her racing heart, struggling to keep her mind from going woozy for long enough. She hadn't felt this way in almost a year and she definitely wasn't over Adam. But she needed him to forget about her.

"Get. out. of my car." A shiver ran through Eleanor's body as she quickly disguised it, desire filled her but as quickly as it mocked her with it's ugly face, it was gone. She had to force herself to hate the man she loved and she knew now that he was tormented by Eleanor's ghost. His dark circles had engulfed half his face and Eleanor didn't want to push him any further.

She wanted to escape before he noticed anything that might actually make him suspicious.

"Goodbye Mr. Carnegie." She moved away, opening the door and walking into the crowded airport. She had no idea where she wanted to go now. A world of endless possibilities had surfaced before her and all she wanted to do was run into the safety net that was Adam Carnegie. She wanted to lay her head on his chest as he kissed her hair and held her close.

She sighed, she had money in her pocket, contacts in her eyes, and a wig over her head. She had no passport so the money seemed pointless, she couldn't leave the country without a passport.

She groaned, she hadn't thought that far ahead. She sat on the curb where Adam had slickly drove off as soon as she got out. His wheels sounding loudly as he turned sharply and sped as far away as possible. He was clearly angry, and Eleanor had mixed feelings about what she had said to him. She had made him out to be a pathetic widower who couldn't get over his dead wife even though he was engaged to another woman and to be wed in March.  He had every right to be upset and angry, he had lost someone that he had given his whole self to. And along with her, his entire heart and spirit was gone and whatever was left of it found itself buried in Magdalene's kitchen sink- probably the sewers by now.

She regretted coming back to New Jersey. Maybe she could go back to Oklahoma and pretend to be Bree again. No- that made her already more suspicious. With no sense of direction, Eleanor waited for a cab to park in front if her.

"Where to miss?"

"Anywhere," she said, her normal American accent came back and the struggle to copy the English of the Britain's wore off. She didn't have to fake that anymore and she was grateful.