Chapter 35: Touch Me Again

Recap: Eleanor was caught. Who turned her in? She's able to manipulate her thoughts and beat a lie detector test, but she basically ends up being under house arrest. Adam returns to New Jersey, he heads home and finds Magdalene in front of his gate. Eleanor calls Pure asking for her help. Everything is chaos...

Mature content. Do not read if references of death make you uncomfortable.

***
April 4

Eleanor stood across the room from him. It was a dark and empty room and the only lights that could be seen portrayed a reflection. A mere outline of his body as they could barely register that they were staring at each other. The feeling of cold air passed around her if she were standing by a vent. It tossed her memories back to their honeymoon. Memories were bound to disappear someday, right?

"Why'd you do it Adam?" She whispered coldly across the room. She squinted in an attempt to see him, but the room only got darker and colder.

"Why'd you do it Adam?" She said louder.

No response. She huffed, tears threatening to leave her eyes as she approached the outlined figure.

"Why'd you do it Adam?!" She shouted, running toward the blatant outline of a man she once loved. As her hands came into contact with him, he vanished into thin air.

She felt alone. She knew she was alone.

"Adam?!" She cried, confined in the dark room with nothing and nobody but her thoughts. Her heart was racing and tears rushed down her eyes. "Adam, you hurt me, Adam please come back..." she yelled through clenched teeth and unwanted tears.

Blink. The sun slashed her eyes as she gasped awake. A nightmare. Damn it.

She lay in bed staring at the nothingness of the wall. She couldn't think, and if she could, she didn't know what to think.

She decided to be productive today. Go to work and act like nothing ever happened. She had too many regrets and that was a great way to be miserable.

•••

"Adam." She gasped, feeling choked as she awoke. She had fallen asleep on his bed and he didn't have the heart to wake her up. Magdalene blinked once, twice, the bright lights of the room penetrating her cornea.

He glanced at her from across the room as the lights filled it. He shut his eyes, the couch was comfortable, but he'd definitely preferred sleeping on his bed. His and Eleanor's bed.

Too much had happened. He felt exhausted even after hours of sleep.

"I'm so sorry!" Magdalene shouted as she hopped out of the bed and walked toward him on the couch. She reached for his hands and sat beside him. "I'm sorry for rushing you into loving me... I still love you and if you need more time I understand. I'm sorry for throwing your wedding ring down my drain. I've been searching for it with a crew for weeks and we found it last week. I have it at my house. But most importantly, I'm so sorry for taking you for granted, I just want you back Adam. I miss you." Magdalene had this speech prepared for months and it felt good to finally say it to the face she'd imagined saying it to.

Adam tilted his head, he readjusted his tie. At the thought of the ring, he felt repulsed and excited all at once that he wished time could rewind.