Chapter 37: Play with Fire

No warnings on this chapter lol, enjoy!

The DJ played the music loudly at the club as Adam sat at the bar. He was sipping a cup of god-knows-what alcohol and watching the women dance.

"Hey handsome." Some random girl walked over to him and sat beside him. He'd noticed her dancing earlier in her sparkling golden dress that barely covered her body. He looked at her tan legs before looking back at her cake-faced makeup. She looked nothing like Eleanor.

Eleanor has ruined him for anyone else.

No matter who he tried it with or talked to, she was still on his mind and he still couldn't figure out what the hell and happened in Oklahoma and who had told the police about her. He'd thought at that point she didn't want to speak with him, she'd assumed it was him and he did nothing to convince her otherwise.

Every girl he talked to reminded him of her in some small way and inwardly he was always comparing them to her. He was a goner, he might as well join a monastery and become a monk at this point. Except monks were clean and he was not. He'd considered reaching out to her but he didn't know how many phones she'd gone through or if she was even willing to talk to him. He wanted to fix things between them, he didn't want to be the cause of Eleanor's demise.

"Hey gorgeous," he replied, his hand instantly reaching for the hem of her dress. He'd spent too many nights like this.

"We can get out of here if you buy me a drink." She winked at him, clearly having been accustomed to that line.

"Nah, I was enjoying the view, but I'm fine." He shut his eyes and decided to stand up. He was not too drunk, but took himself a moment to stand composed and with good posture. He began walking away from her, but she grabbed his built arm. He turned to look at her, about to tell her off once again before he saw the warmth in her eyes and the object in her hand.

"You left your phone." She smiled warmly, handing it to him, "Adam."

He wondered how this stranger knew his name, he didn't recall giving it to her. Perhaps maybe he had and was to drunk to recall.

He grunted out a small thank you before exiting the bar and club and walking in the drizzling rain. He shut his eyes, his eye lids growing heavy. He thought he could just fall asleep here. Nobody would be the wiser if he did.

He walked around for a bit, clearing his nostrils from the stench of the alcoholic bar before rounding the block and entering again.

As soon as he took a seat, the loud music was interrupted by sounds of yelling. He turned his head in the direction of two men that looked like they were about to kill each other.

"Stay away from my girlfriend!" One man yelled, getting too close to the other and pushing his chest.

"She came onto me!" The other man defended himself. A girl in a sparking golden dress ran out between them and grabbed the arm of the first man. Adam took a deep sigh of relief, feeling as though he'd definitely dodged a bullet. He simply called the bartender over and asked for another drink.

"Hit me with anything." Adam said.

"You've reaches your quota for tonight sir, I can't give you anymore."

"What do you mean? I'm paying for this."

"It's just not safe for your health if I give you another drink. I'm sorry." The bartender sauntered off and poured a few drinks for other people.

"Idiot." Adam muttered, standing up and leaving some money on the table. He decided to walk outside once again. This repetitive behavior was alleviating whatever discomfort he felt inwardly.