Chapter 4: The Crime of Loving Adam

The old car had run its course. Eleanor and Josiah parked on the freeway, exhausted and afraid. Nobody in New Jersey would be willing to help; people were afraid to stop on freeways. Eleanor glanced at an angry Josiah, she'd never seen him this mad before.

"Maybe we can rent a hotel room tonight Bree," Josiah suggested, an unsure look on his face as he grabbed his phone to call his insurance company. Eleanor couldn't contain the bubble of joy she felt at being able to stay here another day. Another day in the same state as Adam was a pretty dang good present.

"We might as well spend the New Year here too." She scoffed as Josiah glanced at her. "What?" She held her hands up defensively, a smirk on her face, "I was only joking, Joe,"

Josiah said nothing as the call went through and he began speaking with a service representative.

Eleanor leaned against the car, boredom beginning to consume her. She stared at Josiah as he continued to speak on the phone, then he hung up.

"They'll be here in a couple minutes, I guess they need to tow a car to a mechanic." Josiah walked toward Eleanor, wrapping his slender arms around her waist and pulling her close. "Maybe we can spend the New Year here, it wouldn't hurt."

"Great idea." Eleanor grinned.

"Sometimes I just don't get you Bree." He said.

"You don't have to get me, just kiss me."

~🌷~

Adam sat at the edge of the table, his investigators seated themselves across from him, each with a stern looks across their faces. His legs dangled off the table while the men and women sat in chairs.

"The prints came back." They began, "they're a match with those of Eleanor Carnegie. Now we know she has passed away, but we would like you to consider the possibility that she perhaps hasn't. . . If those prints say anything, she may have had something to do with Hank Carnegie's death."

"What?" Adam furrowed his eyebrows as his muscular build shifted on the table, his vision grew blurry at the thought of Eleanor, "I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense." The room was dim and silent as they all stared at him. Nobody realized it was hurting him to even think his love was possibly alive. She couldn't be... and even if she was, he had every doubt that she'd play a role in his fathers death.

"It's speculation." Another investigator said, giving a harsh glare at the others.

"No Gary, it's not just speculation, it might actually be what happened. The fingerprints were fresh. Eleanor Carnegie is alive." Adam cleared his throat to silence the arguing investigators and stood up.

"We're sorry Mr. Carnegie, maybe we should come back another time." Gary said. The men began to stand up, packing their papers into their suitcases as the others stood up and followed suit.

"Wait," Adam said looking at the investigator who had come up with a crazy theory. Adam played with it in his mind, it had a fowl taste to it, but it was so addicting, so mysterious that he needed to know if Eleanor was actually alive. And if she was, why she did what she did- if she actually did anything.

"Yes sir." Gary stared ahead, afraid for his partner's life.

"I'd like to hear what... "

"My name is Zac."

"Right Zac, I would like to hear your theory. Gary you can be excused, I would like a report in three weeks if you find anything." Adam shook Gary's hand as Zac stood frozen.