Chapter 7: Mansions and Hotels

Adam paced across the room, waiting for Zac to enter. He had become engrossed in this investigation ever since he realized the handwriting matched with that of Eleanor's and fresh finger prints had been on the box. His hope was restored and the search had begun.

He had announced on National Television that he was searching for a hazel-haired girl with the eyes of Eleanor. He couldn't recall who she was until he realized that it might have been the girl who he'd spoken to a night before his birthday.

"Adam, you look absolutely exhausted! When was the last time you slept?!" Adam's fiance trudged into the room as he continued to pace. He couldn't dare tell her why he was stressed unless he wanted to ruin the engagement of course.

"I'm fine, how are you Magdelene?" He asked as she stopped in front of him. Her fingers snaked around his arm as she demanded his attention.

"What's the matter? You never call me Magdelene."

"Nothing Mags, I'm fine, I should get some rest now," Adam said, hoping she would take the hint and leave.

"I thought we were having movie night?" Magdelene said, confusion enveloping her.

"Not tonight Maggie, I'm too tired." Adam easily lied.

"Mr. Carnegie, I have news." Zac barged in, his folder flying on the floor and the pages flying out. Adam's office felt tight now, he wanted to break a window and throw Magdelene out of it. She raised her eyebrows, her curiosity obviously peeked.

"Maggie, do you mind?" Adam asked as she gave him a look. She rolled her eyes, now staring at him, demanding an answer. "We'll talk later Mags." Adam pleaded as she huffed, turned on her heel, and left the room.

"You're keeping this from your fiancé? What if Eleanor is actually alive?" Zac blurted out, his gaze meeting Adam's.

"What if she's dead?" Adam spat. "I don't pay you to butt into my private life." Adam scolded, his face hardening.

"Yes, sir. Thought we'd become friends now." Zac said as Adam's mouth hung open. He didn't have time for friends.

"Just because you know my biggest secret does not make us friends Zac." Adam scoffed, a smile forming.

"Well actually, it kind of does. My girlfriend actually wanted me to invite you and Magdelene to dinner actually. Mr. Carnegie." Zac spoke with such false confidence that you would've believed that Adam worked for him.

"We'll see. Enough of this," Adam gestured with his hands flailing and pointing at Zac, "what news have you found?"

"There's this guy, his name is Josiah I think. He called the cops reporting a missing brown haired blue eyed wonder named Bree. Just thought you might want to know. Would you like me to investigate him privately or send him in?"

Adam contemplated for a second, walking over to his desk and taking a seat on the black leather chair.

"I don't know." Adam finally decided. "Investigate him privately first, become his friend even, we'll see where it goes from there. Get him to trust you, let me in on the details."

"Yes, sir." And with that, Zac turned and left the room, a newfound determination filling his senses.

~🌿~

"Where are you from sweetheart?" Adam's mother asked Eleanor, the master of disguise. She'd worn a red-haired wig, her eyes a highly pigmented green, freckles were drawn on her face, and she wore thick black eyeliner that was smothered across her whole face now, making her look like she had been punched in both eyes.