Chapter 20: Strut Like You Own the Stage

"Stand up straight, walk to the white line, pose, then walk back here in an orderly fashion." A man stood behind the curtains directing each model as her turn approached. Eleanor was nervous, she'd never done anything like this before. And not only that but she was afraid people might recognize her.

Who was she kidding? She wanted to be recognized as an Eleanor poser, that would definitely strike out any skeptics thinking that she actually was Eleanor.

She wore heels comfortably and clutched the wings closer to her body as she strutted down the catwalk. The music matched her steps perfectly as her heels clanked against the metal stand.

She wore a new collection of Stephanie Cooper bathing suits. Her's was red and looked a lot more like it was lingerie. Cameras flashed all around as her nerves grew. People clapped as she spun and walked back, keeping her face straight as she entered behind the curtain once again.

Like a robot, Eleanor took a seat backstage as Stephanie approached her and began gushing about how good she did and so on.

"I'm so proud of you!" She declared and Eleanor stared with her dark brown eyes straight ahead. It hadn't occurred to her that her picture would be on the cover of a magazine or that the catwalk may have been aired on live television. It also didn't help that people would begin talking about her again. She hadn't even thought of that before making her decision- she would be famous faster than she could blink.

Her next walk would be on soon and she stood up to change quickly.

➿➿➿

Oh what are you doing Eleanor. Josiah thought as he watched her walk on the stage, wink at the camera and then walk back. The TV screen was fancifully bright tonight as commentators spoke about every detail. Josiah felt grateful that Adam had slept an hour ago and was still very much asleep. He hadn't told him that that was the bed Eleanor usually slept on so her scent was obviously still there. Perhaps it made it easier for him to sleep considering the dark circles under his eyes didn't come from nowhere.

"They're calling her Eleanor Undead and she's stunning. Her resemblance is uncannily."

"Better watch out for Adam in case he tries to snatch this one up as well." The commentators laughed and Josiah's eyes fixed onto the screen. He wanted to wake Adam up to show him- but the man needed rest. Josiah shut off the television and went to bed.

The next day, Josiah awoke bright and early. He went to work and when he came back around two p.m. for a lunch break, Adam was still asleep. He thought nothing of it. The man must be very tired. He headed to the kitchen to make himself a coffee when he noticed Adam walk out of the room.

"Where am I?" He asked.

"Mr. Carnegie,"

"It's Adam."

"Right, Adam, you fell asleep here. You can go back to New Jersey whenever you want. I'm on my lunch break so I have to leave in about fifteen minutes."

"Thanks Josiah. I appreciate you helping me man." Adam walked over to him and patted his shoulder. He didn't have half a mind to think about Eleanor today so he just went back to the room. He hadn't slept that well in ages.

He walked back out of the room and into the kitchen.

"By any chance, did that bed belong to Eleanor?" He asked, "after almost a year of marriage, I got so accustomed to sleeping with her nearby and her smell helped me sleep sometimes." Adam admitted as Josiah laughed and nodded. "So you're a doctor?" He asked.