Chapter 6: Half of a Truth

"This is hard to digest," Josiah muttered, grabbing the bed frame as he sat down. "So you're not actually Bree Walker... you... you lied to me?"

"Josiah please, I did a bad thing and I..."

"And you're hiding from your husband? Why?"

"I'm dead. I mean, Eleanor is dead. And my getup here isn't working anymore the brown hair isn't enough. Look, please help me. I can't do this by myself. I need to hide."

"On one condition."

"Anything."

"Tell me why you faked your death," he said.

Her eyes grew glassy as she stared at him. She couldn't speak about that, she didn't want to; it would send her straight to jail. She knew she could trust Josiah, but this secret, the fact that she murdered her husband's father, that was far too much. She couldn't say it out loud. She couldn't even think about it without feeling disgust toward herself.

At the time she'd done it, she was proud that she'd ended the man who was fated to destroy her life. But pondering back, looking back at what her actions had done, she knew it was stupid. She shouldn't have done any of her stupid thoughts. But at the time- she was wild! She wanted what she did, she wanted a new life, she didn't want people meddling with her life until she began living in fear. Sometimes, she wished she had actually died that day- but she knew she'd regret that too.

"Eleanor," Josiah spoke her name for the first time as the tension seemed to thicken. She wanted to walk out, she didn't want to deal with this.

"Please call me Bree. I don't want it slipping out. Look Josiah, nobody knows about this! It's a huge secret and I've been keeping it for a year! Please, I'm begging you don't tell anyone that you know I'm Eleanor." She wouldn't meet his eyes.

"Fine. And how did you manage to... " He began but she gave him a look that could shatter hearts. He froze, his heart rate rising as he looked into her sad eyes.

"I need you Josiah, I need you to trust me and help me. . . please," Eleanor said, a tear falling from her eyes. Josiah nodded silently, walking over to hug her. "I'm sorry I kept it a secret from you. I just didn't want to be found. I wanted a new life away from all the stress of being a Carnegie." She cried silently as Josiah engulfed her into his arms. He was too good to her.

"You're okay baby." He whispered, letting her cry into his chest and kissing her hair. "Just tell me what you need me to do, then we can leave. We can go home... we can pretend that none of this happened. But what ticked him off to your real name?"

"He doesn't know... the truth about me. I dropped off my wedding ring... it was so stupid of me. I just wanted to be rid of it! The damn ring was holding me back from my new life so I told the guy at the gate that I was Bree in case he decided to toss the ring. But I wasn't expecting Adam to go crazy like this. I expected us to be home by today." Absolute silence filled the room as Eleanor began speaking, "can you... I need colored contacts and a wig. That's enough I think to completely change my appearance. Please help me..." She muttered.

The air was as thick as water. They wouldn't look at each other, the only sounds came from their hard breaths and beating hearts.

"I'll be right back. Just stay here and please don't cry too much. We can get home after you disguise yourself." He said, a warm smile forming on his face as he got up and walked out.

Eleanor sat on the bed patiently, she then decided to wash the rest of the brown from her hair, her blonde hair would show again and she would be harder to spot as Bree Walker. But she was still Eleanor Carnegie and if anyone pointed out the similarity, she'd be caught. She quickly washed the brown out and sat on the bed again. Her eyes glued to Adam's masculine features as he spoke with someone in an interview.

"Mr. Carnegie, could you tell us how you feel about your deceased wife as your anniversary approaches. We've heard about how amazing she was, but did Eleanor do anything to tick you off? What will you do to commemorate her memory this year?"

Adam looked at the interviewer, they say in polish couches on the set that looked fairly familiar to the late night shows. He opened his mouth and shut it again. Eleanor tilted her head, staring at Adam's face. Her heart fell, he would've said more by now. Adam would have been talking the interviewer's ear off my now, but he said nothing, just silently sat there.

Adam was looking at the camera and she just knew he was onto her. He was suspicious about her death and she could see he was about to spout a lie. Her heart raced. She needed to get out of here, her plan had failed. She shouldn't have tried to tie any loose knots, she should've just kept the ring- sold it even and bought Josiah a new car. Her life was ruined, and she wanted it to ruin her. She was stupid enough to try to head home, she should have left her past where it was.

She sat for a few more minutes, her fingers tapping the bedframe as her body shook. It was freezing inside and she was extremely nervous.

Perhaps Josiah couldn't be trusted or maybe he could be, but she wasn't about to take another risk. She felt stupid as is for giving Adam her ring back and telling him her real fake name, she shouldn't have even gone near her old home. As regrets started to possess her, she began to panic, her heart was sprinting as she stared around the room, searching for something- anything.

She shuddered, her heart racing rapidly as she put a scarf around her entire head and wore a blanket over her body. Maybe she could pass as a Muslim or something. She quickly covered her hair until nothing but her eyes could be seen. Nobody could recognize her now.

She could hide somewhere, perhaps wait for Josiah to get back even. She had taken a few hundreds from the stash of money they'd collected from selling Josiah's car, leaving an IOU note on top.

She took a deep breath and walked out into the freezing air as snow rained rapidly. There weren't many cars out and for that she felt grateful. She walked down the street her breath making smoke in front of her as she entered a costume store. She could see Josiah purchasing her hair dye and contacts, but she had a better idea in mind. She felt guilty, but convinced herself that this had to be done.

She planned on ditching him, he would be a liability at this point. He would get in trouble if she were caught. She watched him leave as she grabbed a red wig and makeup, reaching for green colored contact lenses.

She had to disappear and fast. She had to change her name again and become a nobody. Silently she paid for her items and walked into the shop a door over, she changed in the dressing room, drawing freckles on her face and wearing thick black eyeliner. She walked out of the restroom, leaving her scarf and blanket on the ground and wearing jeans and a coat.

She walked out of the shop. It was colder than a freezer out here as the snow turned to hail and began pounding down on her. She needed shelter immediately.

She froze, taking painful steps around the snow, her limbs were numb. Eleanor gazed at the sky as the sun began to show through the snow now, she couldn't recall how long she had been walking but the sun began to set. Her brain was on autopilot and she knew she had to get to safety.

"Miss?" A voice said.

"Yes?" She breathed, hot air creating smoke in front of her.

"Are you lost?" The woman said, she was an elderly lady, but as soon as Eleanor recognized her, she wanted to turn back. She didn't want to be near this lady or in this damn state anymore. She wanted to go home. This world was too small and she picked the wrong place to live in.

"Y... yes." Eleanor stuttered, her jaw shivering. She hoped her red wig and green eyes would be unrecognizable to this woman. Eleanor was literally frozen now, hoping her disguise was enough.

"Do you know where you're going? Uh..."The woman asked. Eleanor shook her head, turning slowly to look at the empty road.

"Well, come with me then, I was going to visit my son, just needed to bring a gift for him and his fiance." The woman, Adam's mother, said.

It truly was a small world after all, what an awful coincidence. Eleanor wanted to refuse, but she couldn't. She physically couldn't shake her head anymore, she was frozen and in need of warmth.

——————
Chapter is dedicated to Modernlump thanks so much for the constant support, comments, and votes!