Chapter 34: All Good and Pure

Magdalene glared at her reflection. It was like everyone and everything had forgotten about her and left her in the dust. Adam had left her for some bribe! She was supposed to have Adam back by now! She was supposed to marry him and become rich again. She was supposed to 'pretend' to love him as her mother said but she actually loved him. He just couldn't love her... all because of a damn dead girl.

Eleanor was supposed to make him love her then crush his heart until Magdalene could scatter it back together. It wasn't fair!

Her smooth silky long hair fell around her shoulders as she ran her hand through it.

Her eyes glared right back at her through the mirror as the phone in her other hand ran blank. She stared at the long list of blue messages she'd sent and the unreplying recipient Adam.

Everything was fine until that wench arrived anyway. She'd have a bounty on her if it weren't illegal... and immoral.

But who defines morals anyway.

She wanted to pull her hair out and scream at the top of her lungs, she was going crazy, feeling like she'd officially lost it. Adam was hers for a time. And then he wasn't.

Then he was gone and disappeared like a ghost along with her bribe. She had nothing on Eleanor anyway, she was just waiting to call her bluff. She'd tried to find something but the name Ally Cooper and Eleanor Hays weren't even remotely connected.

She wanted Eleanor: Ally, whatever that chics name was gone. She wanted her out of the planet and her memory gone. She wanted to be wealthy. She needed Adam back. She obsessed.

So that night, she went out past midnight, searching for Adams address. It was dark, and he hadn't been home in almost a full month or two. She'd lost track of time. When she'd arrived, her eyes shut of their own accord. It was vacant, untaken care of and his mansion just looked lonely. Early Halloween decorations she chuckled at her thoughts.

Out of nowhere, a bright light came from behind her and the gate opened. The car stopped and a figure walked out.

"Maggie? Is that you? What're you doing here so late?"

Her heart beat a billion beats a minute, her eyes widening as she ran toward him.

"Adam! Wherever you been! I was so worried about you, love." She said, staring into his tired brown eyes. It was those words that led to their fight to begin with. He couldn't say them back... because he thought he was in love with a dead girl. Her eyes began to tear up as she stared at him, in disbelief that he was standing right in front of her.

He was shocked as she hugged him. He pulled her back, his hands on her shoulders.

"Maggie, it's two am! What're you doing out here? Are you crazy?"

"Maybe..." She was too happy to see him, he was too tired to share her excitement. "I went for a walk..."

"A walk my ass." He chuckled.

"I missed you!" He just chuckled. The night was euphoric.

"Well since you're here would you want to just spend the night... whatever's left of it anyway?"

She was shocked. He was too tired. They looked at each other for a few moments longer before Adam went to the passenger side of his car and opened the door.

She followed him dreamily and it was as if things had relapsed back in time to how simple life used to be. He shut the door behind her and entered the driver's side. She missed this. She missed him. Her hand reached for his as he entered through the gate and parked near his home. They both got out as the clock struck 2:05 am. Adam's brown eyes seemed to shine as he held her hand and led her into his home, all the way up the sleek stairs of his giant mansion before leaving her in front of the guest room.

It wasn't hard to tell that she was disappointed, but he didn't want conversations tonight. He was exhausted and slightly irritated. She wouldn't like him tonight but then again, Magdalene was full of surprises. He wondered if his wedding ring was somewhere in the sewage system by now. Had someone found it? Sold it for a million bucks?

He didn't care. He couldn't think.

He tried.

He really tried...

***

Pure smiled as Noah bent down and placed a kiss on her growing stomach.

"What're we going to name her?" He asked in the broad daylight as the clear curtains that did nothing to shield the sun waved around with the wind.

Pure paused for a few moments before wrapping her arms around Noah. The bright room was beautiful. They were going to paint it a light pink or beige.

"I don't know if you'll like it," she giggled as he held her, "but I was thinking... and I know she wasn't always the nicest person, but you know to keep her memory alive... she eventually did become a really good friend to me..."

"No," Noah gasped jokingly, "I was thinking that too."

"Eleanor."

"Yeah, we should name her Eleanor."

They smiled at each other, a warmth and happiness filling their souls.

"Our beautiful baby Eleanor."

They kissed as the sun let shadows play on the ground beside them, broad smiles on their faces as suddenly phones began to ring. Well, just one phone in particular and Pure was quick to ignore it.

It rang again. Reluctant, Pure gave Noah an apologetic look before walking toward her phone.

It was from an unknown caller. She decided to ignore it again. She considered blocking, but there was no number to block.

Noah walked up beside her and stood over her.

The phone rang for the third time with the same ID: unknown caller.

She stared at it before picking it up. Whoever was calling must've had something urgent to say.

"H...hello?" Pure's voice was shaky, worried it might be a parent calling. She had barely spoke to them aside from congratulating them on her baby brother Luke. Come to think of it, she had barely seen Luke in what felt like ages. It had been a year or so and she'd been married to Noah for almost two years and they'd been dating for over four.

There was a long pause and what sounded like strained breathing. A huff came from the other end before a voice spoke shakily.

"Pure, it's me Eleanor. I... I... I need your help."

Did you see that coming? What could Eleanor possibly want from Pure now? She's abused the poor girl enough right? And isn't pure in California? And why did Eleanor sound strained. Where is Adam and Magdalene? Why did she call? And many more questions to be answered in the coming chapters...

Comment and Vote and Follow!! @veronicasoli

If you're looking for a good Mystery/Romance book, check out "Without a Flaw" on my profile- previously known as unpopular.