Chapter 5: Obsessed

Adam stared at the paper for far too long, trying to decipher if it was perhaps a joke. He couldn't remember the name of the girl who had left it, but he would need to ask John again.

He needed to find her, to question her on how she had Eleanor's ring. He would only do so if the hand writing and the prints on the box matched those of Eleanor. He had gone crazy, wishing he had put a tracker in the ring to begin with. And again, he felt like punching his entire home down. He'd torn down the pictures by the staircase in anguish once he came home from hours on the street that awful night.

He yawned, it was way past midnight when his phone began to ring. He looked outside, his heart racing rapidly as he imagined Eleanor walking through those doors in her lingerie trying to seduce him as she'd done many times before, before she loved him. He smiled at the wall.

He was obsessed.

While the whole world rested in silence, Adam remained wide awake. He felt incapable of shutting his eyes like he had for months. What if Eleanor was to come home.

He took a deep breath, covering himself with sweatpants and a shirt and began another midnight run. He'd done so every night for the past eight months, and the news stations definitely noticed the intense amount of muscle he had built.

He ran out the doors, past the gatekeeper and onto the street, his speed quickened as he rushed past the street Eleanor had died.

And then there it was, the people he had been dreading for months. They must have been keeping track of him. A camera flash went off as people took many pictures of Adam. He sprinted past them, sweat trickling down as he wiped it from his brow.

His phone began ringing and he took this moment to catch his breath.

"Hello?" Adam said.

"Adam, you're awake? Could you come over?" It was Magdelene's voice, the girl he was supposed to marry in under three months.

He took a deep breath and changed direction, "on my way."

~🥀~

Josiah stood beside his car as the mechanic continued spouting out prices for parts that needed to be fixed. Eleanor stood silently beside him.

"Maybe we can just take a bus home, we barely use the car anyway." Eleanor said, the sky had shaded itself black and with it left tons of white spots. She glanced at the old garage. Her eyes landed on a glowing light, it was two fifty-three a.m. She groaned.

Not only had the insurance company taken forever to show up, they had also forgotten the tow truck and had to drive back to bring another person who also took a long time to show up.

And then the mechanic. Eleanor groaned again as she wrapped her slender fingers around Josiah's strong arms, pulling him close for warmth.

"Yeah, maybe, but I don't think any bus stations are open right now." Josiah said. He rubbed his temples. If he was frustrated, he hid it well.

"How much would you be willing to sell this car for?" The mechanic suddenly asked.

Josiah's eyes widened as he stared at the mechanic. "How much are you offering?"

"I can give you four thousand and take it off your hands."

Josiah turned to Eleanor who didn't look at him. She wanted him to make the decision, it was his car afterall.