Chapter 25: Hot in Here

She had done the worst thing imaginable and slept with Adam Carnegie. She was so angry at herself that she refused to let herself talk to him for a full day.

After three weeks of adventuring with him- following him around, him visiting her at work- leaving secret notes and so on, Eleanor was in love all over again- it wasn't like she'd ever stopped. The time they spent getting to know each other felt like they were both new to a relationship and in need of excitement. It was liberating. Her suggestive behavior prior to Magdalene's storm had led her to take him to coffee, they hit it off and decided to hang out at one of Adam's gala meeting where he had invited a bunch of people and used those terms for networking. One thing led to another, and now here they were, lying side by side once more in Adam's bed.

But she couldn't help the sickening feeling that welled up inside her when she woke up this morning with his arm sprawled over her bare waist, she stared at him for the longest amount of time, a feeling of comfort familiarity that was quickly washed down by the feeling of guilt. She had completely destroyed whatever remnants of a relationship he had with Magdalene, she had started unofficially dating the handsome billionaire right under the nose of Magdalene and now she had slept with him.

But holy hell, a girl has needs. And Adam could fulfill them on a whim.

Her mind wandered to reminders of last night which sent her heart spiraling into a series of quick beats. She calmed her breathing as she continued to stare- the face she loved to look at so much. The face she missed being so close to- her celebrity crush as Josiah would've called it. She continued to glance at him and then quickly looked away when his mouth twitched into a smile. Caught.

She shut her eyes and pretended to be asleep as Adam turned on his side, hovering slightly above her before pulling his arm away.

"Eleanor," he whispered before turning once again and letting out a few quiet snores. He was dreaming, she let out a sigh of relief before quietly getting out of bed and putting some clothes on. She knew where everything was in this particular room so she quickly reached for her old toothbrush and brushed her teeth over her old sink. He hadn't moved a single thing around. She smiled stupidly.

"Morning," Adam stood by the bathroom door, a mischievous look crafted on his face. He leaned against its frame and crossed his arms. It had been the first time that he had been intimate with Eleanor as Ally and he didn't seem fazed. Did he become some sort of sex addict after she died?

"Morning." Every bone in her body was screaming at her to get out before they both fell too deep, before she can't let go of him when Magdalene forces her to. It was hard enough the first time, even on impulse it was difficult but revenge was so worth it. And now she felt like she was standing at the edge of a cliff waiting to be pushed. She decided to take matters into her own hands,

"About last night, Adam," she sighed, "it shouldn't have happened. You're engaged to be married to Magdalene— regardless of a break, I shouldn't be interfering- even if for some meaningless sex." She said, his face showed nothing. Was meaningless sex part of his vocabulary now? She was expecting his face to drop, but he instead crossed his arms, his muscles busting out as she touched the side of her mouth to make sure she wasn't drooling. It seemed for the first time since she had met him, he was a mystery she wanted to unfold.

"I see," he finally said, a smirk forming. When had Adam become such a tease?

"Okay, then. I guess it's settled- we can remain friends and..."

Adam shook his head, looking at her legs as a smile formed. He did a once over of her body before looking into the bathroom mirror. His eyes looked mischievous as his warm brown ones met hers and her heart seemed to respond by pounding like a ticking clock. Her heart beat rapidly as he moved closer.