Chapter 22: The Hole in My Heart

The whole point of living is to survive. Regardless of rank or what you do in life, you're goal is survival. And against a world of sharks, it's hard being a starfish. Eleanor is the Patrick to the bikini-bottom. Oblivious and stupid, but somehow useful to the entire plot of things.

Eleanor could have gazed into those brown eyes for years and at the end of their sitting in the limousine, Adam had given up. She had gotten extremely close to wrapping her arms around him and kissing him senseless, but she held her own. She'd done too much to return now.

"I'm sorry if I'm not who you were expecting sir." Eleanor lied through a sad smile as Adam removed his hands from hers.

Adam's heart dropped. He physically felt pained at hearing her words, but he hid it well as all good business men do.

"I understand." He said, urging her to leave. She sounded just like Eleanor- her voice so vaguely engrained in his memory.

It took him a minute to realize that nobody could feel his pain, nobody could comprehend it or know it even if he faked it. He felt empty and broken, he felt like he was in a dark hole that he couldn't climb out of. He felt choked and exhausted.

The world was gray and bare and hazy. It was ugly actually. There was nothing beautiful anymore. Eleanor stood outside the door of her family home in California. She'd traveled by train to get here and then turned right around and took the train to the end of its route. She didn't care anymore. She was sick of hiding.

She ended up back in New Jersey- back at the doors of Demeter Modeling Co. and back where she started. She stood outside of Adam's home and rang the bell. She had a terrible internal monologue, screaming at her. She didn't know what to do. She didn't want to hide anymore. She wanted to accept the reputation as Ally Lawson- Eleanor Undead. Without realizing what or where she was going, Eleanor walked straight to Adam'a home.

She wasn't sure what had brought her there, but she needed to confirm that there were no hard feelings between him and Ally Lawson and that she would keep all that happened and all he had said to them private. And it was a great excuse to see him again. She hadn't seen him in two weeks and had no doubt that he would marry Magdalene soon. She wanted to be happy for him- happy he'd found love again, but the jealousy began to spew from her guts.

"Do you know where liars go?" Max appeared at the gate in uniform. He glared at Eleanor as she grimaced at his threatening  gaze.

"Heaven" She smirked jokingly.

"Wrong Mrs. Carnegie- they go to the deepest pits of hell." He looked at her angrily.

"I'm not Mrs. Carnegie. Although I wish I could be- Adam is absolutely stunning and a total sweetheart."

"Why did you come here Eleanor. Do you not realize how much pain you've caused already."

"Once again Mr. driver, I'm not Eleanor, the only thing I did was speak the truth to Mr. Carnegie. I am not the Eleanor he wishes I was- I am Ally Lawson, a model for the Demeter Modeling company." She ensued.

"And I'm the president of the United States." Max glared at her. "Anyone can say they are something they aren't Mrs. Carnegie."

This argument seemed pointless, it would clearly be a never ending cycle of her telling Max that she wasn't Eleanor and Max not believing her.

"Look, Mr. I came here to apologize to Mr. Carnegie and let him know that there are no hard feelings. I would also like to inform him that what he said to me remain private and the skepticism of my being his late wife will be forgiven and forgotten."