Chapter 43: Perfectly Wrong

*Listen to the song as you read this chapter! It can be found above!*

The whimsicality of the day was immediately ripped apart when their eyes met and a strong flood of emotions circled the two former lovers.

Everything came rushing back and in the depth of it all was the one emotion that they both intensely wanted to shake away and move on from.

Breathe.

In. Out.

Slowly so it fills the lungs.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

The sun was setting and created beautiful oranges and reds on the ocean surface. A perfect array of colors and a warm breeze gave a major beachy vibe and the breeze spun through the air. They were alone. At least that's what it felt like.

The mood had definitely shifted and they were surrounded by silence. A peaceful calming aura embedded in the land rose above and wrapped around them.

The beach was stil rattling with people, but in their heads, silence was the sole thing that was conceived. Their eyes locked and Eleanor stood frozen.

This is it. She thought, This is what I've been waiting for.

Her head spun. Eleanor felt as though someone had squeezed the breath out of her and paled. Adam couldn't look away.

What do I do?

Seconds passed and before she knew it, Adam stood inches away. His body heat smoldering against the area around him. He was stunning as always, hardly aged in the year that they'd been separated.

Gone but never forgotten. Their past was the epitome of this statement.

"Hi." Eleanor finally broke the silence like a shattering glass wall. It shocked them both. Her voice was so fluid, like a bird's morning chirp to his ears.

"Hi Eleanor." Adams soothing voice said, their hearts racing. It was another few moments before either of them spoke again. He was overjoyed to finally say her name and have her be in front of him to respond.

"Uh..." Eleanor paused, a warmth engulfing her even though the sun was close to disappearing from the horizon. It would get cold soon.

Flashbacks of their time in the late Dr. Josiah's home rampaged their minds, the negative memories trying to return and break the delicate glass between them.

"Do you want to... get out of here?" Adam finally asked, cautiously and afraid she would say no. He was hesitant to ask, everything was uncertain.

Nobody knew how long they stood staring at one another- disbelieving. A camera flashed and they snapped out of their trance. The sun was gone and it grew dark and cold. Eleanor shivered, turning to look at where the flash of a camera had come from.

Adam put the suit jacket that he'd taken off earlier over her shoulders, his scent and his warmth engulfing her. She felt safe and warm. He didn't even have to ask, he always just seemed to know what she needed. Even having been apart for so long, at that moment, they felt as though they hadn't separated for even a moment.

Another camera flashed and within a few moments of however long they'd been standing beside each other, a rage of paparazzi surrounded them, taking as many photos as they pleased.

Adam and Eleanor were too engulfed in each other's presences until one of them began bossing them around and telling them to pose.

"Yes." Eleanor finally said. She was so overwhelmed, this was probably the hundredth time they'd tried to start over or fix things— she wondered if that sort of stuff only happened in fairy tales.

"So Eleanor, how about I take you out to dinner first before you try getting in my pants again." What. Did. He. Just. Say. I froze now, my mouth moving but no words coming out. I had to think of something equally endearing.

"As long as you don't propose," I whispered, my voice shaking as I felt heat explode in my face. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm Eleanor Hays. I don't stutter, I don't get shy, I don't get shaky, and I definitely don't blush. Unless it's in front of Adam.

"I'll see you tonight then." He kissed me lightly and left me alone in the hallway.

She smiled fondly at the memory.

Adam didn't dare reach for her hand or touch her. He wanted to be sure she wouldn't be burnt by his touch. He missed her too much.

This was it right? All should be well?

The walked side by side, it was as though nothing existed but the two of them. Not even space was a thing.

Before they reached the boardwalk, Eleanor reached for his arm. Adam turned to face her, afraid she would say she didn't want anything to do with him and throw his jacket at him. His mind panicked with the possibilities.

"Adam, I just want to say... if it doesn't work out this time, I have no intention of trying again. If we don't work out this time, I want to move on and live my life how I want. I would prefer to omit our marriage certificate."

Adam's face was puzzled as he stared at her.

"Then I damn well better make this the best night of your life." Adam felt more confident now as a broad smile evaded Eleanor's features. He reached for her waist, putting his hands inside his jacket pocket to be closer to her. "I want you. I want us. I want it all. With you. Only you. I haven't been able to move on Eleanor."

She hadn't noticed when he'd gotten so close until she felt her breath hitch when his forehead touched hers. She breathed against his face, heavy slow breaths as her eyes slowly shut.

She didn't know what to say, the only thing she could think of doing was kissing the beautiful man in front of her. She moved forward, entangling her body with his as they stood.

"I'm sorry." She said, slowly pressing her lips to his. This felt so incredible. So surreal that it blew her mind.

"I'm sorry too." The words were gone with the wind as their lips slowly danced. It was soft and sweet and ended all too quickly.

"We should get going." Eleanor said, having been the one to cut their kiss short. Adam cleared his throat, flustered and his cheeks slightly pink beneath the chiseled cheekbones.

He reached for her hand this time, standing far too close as they walked. The stars began to shine and the world somehow felt a bit brighter.