Chapter 45: Unmatched

Sorrrrryyy for the long wait! Schools been a big part of the reason I haven't updated in a while. I hope this chapter is long enough to sustain you for a while. Follow me VeronicaSoli for more story updates! Comment and Vote! I'd love to read your thoughts on this!!

"I will take your secret with me to the grave. I promise." Magdalene said to Laci as they sat at a clean table on Magdalene's quaint patio. Laci had also failed at achieving Magdalene's goal. She'd now prompted two girls to look into solving the issue with Adam. She just wanted his wealth. And now two had failed. One was Eleanor, because she was still with him. And two was Laci, because she'd broken up with him without him loving her. She was also mad at that. She couldn't get the reward Magdalene promised because Magdalene couldn't sneak her way back into his heart. Pitiful.

"I will take yours also... I know about why you needed to marry Adam... I won't fail you again."

"He didn't even know why." Magdalene sounded almost hostile. Their plan would be put in action soon and Eleanor would finally meet her demise leaving dead old Adam with no heir to share his riches with once he was gone too. "But I did love him..."

They'd intricately planned it out. No they couldn't possibly get caught. They'd be the perfect villains to take part in dead old man Hank's plans. He'd easily let a messenger send them the sign and here they were. The perfect plan for Eleanor's demise splayed out in front of them. The dark patio had a dim yellow light shining only on the giant sheet of paper, they'd hired who they needed to hire and their plan would be put in action soon. Goodbye Eleanor and goodbye Adam.

To the man they'd loved, farewell.

•••

Adam actually felt like his heart might just burst with joy at the closeness of Eleanor to him. Her scent enveloped him like a gift he'd been waiting ages to open. He grinned at her as she peaked her head above the sheets and planted a kiss on his nose.

"You're too cute." She smiled, "I can't believe I wasted so much time away from you, but I think I needed the time to recuperate and I'm so sorry Adam, I'll spend the rest of my life trying to make up for all of our lost time." He wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close. This was all she needed for now. This was all he needed for now.

The moon light left shadowed stripes on the carpeted floor of her luxurious apartment. Through the blinds, a light breeze flowed, cooling the steamy room.

"I'm not going anywhere, there's nowhere I would rather be than with you." Adam sat up as she rested her head on his lap. She tilted her head up.

"That was really cheesy," she laughed as Adam reveled in the sound.

"I'm sorry," Adam smiled, bending forward and kissing her shoulder.

"I'm sorry too, but... we can't change the past, we can only work on bettering our future." She day up and held his hands in hers, placing their intertwined hands on her chest where her heart was to be.

Adam's phone was buzzing like crazy and they'd ignored it for a few minutes until it became intolerable, "You should get that." Eleanor reached over to grab the phone, answering it and holding it to his ear. He gave her a slightly annoyed look before saying hello.

"Laci?" He asked, "what's wrong?" He flew forward, a look of alarm covering his face. "Okay, I'll be right there."

He hung up as Eleanor watched him curiously.

"Who's Laci?" She asked silently, trying to keep her best poker face. She wanted to act unaffected. However, she knew exactly who Laci was, she'd profiled who lived near her and as it turned out, Laci used to work for Demeter Modeling Co before she got pregnant and gave up her son to the foster care system. It was tragic and they fired her for ruining her body.

"She was a girlfriend of mine..." Adam replied carefully. This was definitely news to Eleanor. She watched him carefully. "I need to go."

"Adam. We're finally together, and you're going to leave?" She asked, reaching for his arm as she moved across the bed. Adam glanced at Eleanor.

"You never change Eleanor," he chuckled.

"I didn't realize I was supposed to change. But, I can change out of these clothes if you want." She smiled deviously.

Adam watched her now, his heart full of joy. He didn't know how much more he could take. Eleanor was witty, beautiful, and most importantly, very devious. He knew her well, but somehow always wanted to continue learning more.

"Stay Adam," she said quietly, releasing his arm and laying against the bed, "I missed you."

Adam, being the rational man he typically is, simply stared at her.

"Come with me, we can come back here after. Or you can come home." His deep brown meaningful eyes sparkled as he watched Eleanor smile at him. The mention of the word home was enough to drive her up a wall with desire. She truly missed spending time with Adam and the way he made her feel. She missed the way he loved her and she knew that wasn't going to disappear, even after a year.

But mostly, she missed their home, the world they'd built together. And in that moment, nothing else mattered. Not Magdalene, not Laci, just Adam and Eleanor.

"Or we skip the whole 'help Laci' thing and go straight home." She'd delibrately said it was home, because in actuality, Adam was her home. Regardless of where she was, her most content location was always a location that included Adam.

Adam still owned her heart no matter how many times he could shatter it. He was the home she'd been craving for the entire past year. Hence, he was the reason she had to come back.

Eleanor was linked to him spiritually in some sense that she couldn't understand. He was probably her first actual love.

"Eleanor, you know I can't do that to a friend."

"Fine, I'll go with you, but it better be quick. I'll wait in the car."

Adam grinned, pleased.

Truth of the matter was, Eleanor had a hundred-percent changed. She'd gone from a total psycho who was too insecure that she bullied others to a frayed girl who was searching for the man who helped her change. She needed Adam. As much as Adam needed her.

He was the needle that would sew that frayed piece back together. And their love was unmatched.