Chapter 26: Insanely in Love

Desperately, she followed after him. Her eyes wild and her heart racing like a fire.

"Adam! Say something, please." He just sat on their bed, staring through the glass ceiling. It was covered in bird poop because nobody had cleaned it in months. She was shaking when she reached for his hand, wondering if he would turn her into the authorities and have her arrested. Any sane person would. At the slightest touch, he flinched, his eyes unfeeling as he kept staring ahead.

"Eleanor- you didn't kill my father... you may be smart, but that man had it coming." Adam sighed, turning to face her now. He sat up in bed, his face a mixture of unspoken emotions that melded well with her proper look of confusion.

"I don't understand." She furrowed her eyebrows, reaching for his hand again. This time he didn't flinch, merely stared at her hand on his.

"It wasn't your poison that killed him. I had some men look into the case and it was actually a heart attack- it was his time to go Eleanor, I guess karma had it coming for him." Eleanor wanted to suggest that her poison caused his heart to spasm, but refrained- she knew that it was powerful, she'd purchased it with intent to kill. He was giving her an escape and she would gladly take it. The guilt seared through her and with a simple look from Adam it all faded away. She would let him win this battle for her, let her get away for murder- but how long until the rest of the world finds out? How long until people start realizing she was the real Eleanor and that she was just in hiding and would probably be wanted for murder. Her anxiety levels skyrocketed as she stared at him.

She took a deep breath, calming herself.

"Wh...what?" She has seen him sip her drink and then fall to the ground. She had believed it was her who caused all of this. She knew it was her.

"Your poison couldn't have hurt a fly Eleanor. And he would've smelled it in his drink..." Adam said as he finally met eyes with her, she couldn't tell if he was lying. The room was spinning. " I had some guys look into the case." He repeated. "You're innocent."

Why is he lying for me? She thought as her fingers itched to grab him and tell him that she wasn't innocent! Not in the slightest. She felt uncomfortable as she grazed her thumb over his hand. Adam was an honest man, why was he lying for her?

"No Adam. I killed him, I did it. And I deserve to go to jail for it." He stood up and grasped her arms, her face jerked to meet his. This was possibly the most aggressive he had ever been with her and she couldn't help the sudden fear that filled her. She thought he would slap some sense into her, but when his grip loosened and remorse filled his eyes, she knew to back down.

"No, you didn't." He muttered through gritted teeth. She couldn't tell if he was telling the truth as his grip removed itself from her arm. "You didn't kill him Eleanor." He stared holes into her eyes, an attempt to convince them both. She knew she had done it, unless her timing was perfect with his actual fated time of death- which was unlikely. Hank Carnegie could've lived to be 120 years if he wanted to, he was wealthy enough to live in a frozen ice cube if it came down to it. That man was stubborn, and although his days may have been numbered, he was unwilling to die.

"Now what? Do I just continue hiding as Allison for the rest of my life." Eleanor huffed, Adam glanced at her with warm eyes. She didn't want to come out of hiding and reveal herself to the world. She wanted to go back to being Bree Walker, living in the countryside with Josiah.

They were both frustrated as they sat back on their bed. Adam needed a moment for the feeling to sink in- she was alive and healthy and back where she belonged. Even if she claimed of doing such a demonic task, he couldn't believe her- wouldn't believe her and anticipated she would begin believing she didn't kill Hank as Adam believed as well.