Chapter 11: Wishes and Nightmares

Eleanor Carnegie

Josiah quickly input her name into the search engine, he had patients waiting for his attention outside. He felt finicky this morning, he missed sleeping beside Bree and talking about life before they knocked out. He missed her skepticism, her smell, her face, and her body. He missed her.

The Carnegie Theory was the first website that popped up on this search bar, he scrolled past it. Then scrolled back up to select it.

In memory of Eleanor Carnegie, Adam's drastic new look on life.

He grew curious, clicking on the news article on the website as soon as a nurse walked in.

"Dr. Matthews, there's a patient in room 5A who urgently needs your help, he says he's in a rush." Josiah couldn't imagine what could possibly count as urgent in this town- a splinter perhaps. Nevertheless, he stood up and closed the tab, he would do more research later.

He wrapped his stethoscope around his neck and headed toward the room.

"Dr. Mathews, I assume." A well-built man with brown eyes and a chiseled jaw sat in a tuxedo. He looked suspiciously familiar, his skin was smooth and his biceps bulged beneath the suit. He had eyes that were so dark and devoid of emotion, the dark brown of them seemed even darker because of the shadows under his eyes. This man looked young and old at the same time. He knew everyone in town and nobody actually came to Clearwater on detour.

"Yes, sir. I'm Dr. Josiah Mathews M.D. the nurses were supposed to get your stats but nonetheless, what's your name sir and how can I be of assistance to you?"

"My name is Adam Carnegie," he said, standing up to meet Josiah's six foot two height. He was slightly taller just because of the posture and confidence he held.

"Carnegie?" Josiah audibly gulped, his eyes immediately widening. His breathing almost choked him as he eyed the man who was now crossing his arms.

"Yes Doc, and I have a few questions for you."

~🕊~

Eleanor had her wig messily wrapped around her face, smelling the comfortable freshly washed linens below her. She snuggled beside the fluffy pillows, an air of comfort surrounding her as she dug herself deeper into the bed, she didn't want to get out. She hadn't slept in a bed this comfortable for months; she had taken that for granted back when she was actually living here.

It took her a moment to recall that she was just a guest. A guest who would just be staying a few days while she destroyed any evidence that led to them finding out who she actually was. She was awaiting the snow to calm down so she could return to England supposedly. Perhaps England was a good idea... except she couldn't go anywhere without any form of identification or a passport.

Eleanor yawned, pushing the worried thoughts and her hair out of her mouth as she stood up and walked the long ten strides toward the bathroom, her feet rubbing against the soft carpet.

She wished she could just live here again and be with Adam like old times. Unfortunately, the past had to stay there.

She almost screamed when her eyes met her reflection. The black eyeliner she wore was splattered all over her face and the green contacts had dissolved into nothing. She gasped, the wig was messy and she had no brush. What the hell was she supposed to do now?

She began to panic, perhaps if she just left her face like this and asked to go out quickly, nobody would notice her eye color had changed. That's what she would do.

She rubbed the black all over her face, covering any features as she walked outside in her bathrobe. The messy eyeliner stains looked like she'd just been crying.