Chapter 13: Feel the Hurt

"Bree was my girlfriend. She left me one morning, I guess she got sick of me. That's all I know and why I filed her missing. She is probably found by now, that girl can take care of herself." Josiah's southern accent seemed to deepen with every word he spoke, nerves embedding themselves on his whole heart as he lied for Eleanor. He was probably never going to see her again, but with what hope he had left, he decided to keep her secret. "I have no regrets about it, she was perfect, but she chose her own way and I can't change the past. She made her choice and I can only decide to do better and not be a workaholic to my future girl."

"Thank you." Adam replied, hopping off the table, "for your honesty." He dropped a small wad of cash where he had been sitting and walked out. He couldn't help the burning feeling that kept arising inside him. Perhaps Josiah wasn't telling the full truth, but he pushed the thoughts away as he walked out. He was chasing after a cloud.

Maybe there were people in this town that might have known her. He headed around, seeing the smiling faces of the small town.

Lavela's Bakery

He entered, his stomach grumbling. This town seemed like one of those places where everyone somehow knew each other. A small town with a small population, a perfect place to expand Carnegie Hall And Industries Company, a new addition could be added here. It would bring more people to this small town for sure. But it was almost legitimately in the middle of nowhere.

"Hey darlin' welcome to Lavela's. I'll be right with you in a second handsome." An older woman said, wiping her dough covered hands on her apron. The place was quaint, there were wall stickers decorating every inch of the bright tinted cafe. It looked straight out of a fifties diner.

It was vivid with sunlight as the smell of cookies filled his nose. The small smile tugging at his lips wouldn't disappear as the lady appeared in front of him.

"You must be Lavela?" He asked, his tone professional.

"Yes sir-e, and you ain't from 'round here I presume. " She smiled warmly, a thick accent coating every word.

"You presume correctly."

"Right, what can I get you?"

"Is there a Bree Walker here?"

"Whose asking?"

"Just a friend." Adam replied coolly, the sun striking his eye as he shifted his body away from it. His suit seemed to tighten around his figure as he took a seat.

"Boy-oh-boy, that girl sure knows how to pick them. Bree went with the good doctor to New Jersey, came back a week later and Jo- I mean Dr. Matthews was so upset. He wouldn't talk about it but everyone had just assumed she left him. It's a shame, she was such a great girl, could bake up some pretty darn good cookies at that." Lavela said. Adam groaned, this was a dead end. Whoever this Bree was must have kept herself quiet in this town as well.

Bree was bascically a nobody who seemingly had no affiliation with Eleanor. He didn't find it worth his time to continue searching for this girl, especially since there were thousands of Bree's and anybody could walk up with a gift and lie about their name. But they had footage of her. Her face was so familiar to him, but it only showed for a second. And how did she have Eleanor's ring?

"Did Bree west a ring?" Adam interrogated, seating himself by the door knob before Lavela strutted behind him holding a cookie.

"Would you like one? It's my last batch of the day and I don't think nobody is coming in to buy them." Adam shook his head. The scent reminded him of how Eleanor had always told him she wanted to be a baker- she would've loved to come here if she was alive. Adam's mood sunk.