Chapter 29: The Look of Betrayal

2 updates in one day... oh my what is Veronica planning. Teehee:)

———————————————————

When you know you have totally and royally screwed up, there's only one thing left to do. Apologize. Beg for forgiveness, get down on your knees and cry out your feelings.

The emotions are insatiable.

Even if whoever the apology was fired at doesn't accept your apology, you tried and that is all that matters. You tried so damn hard, and forgiveness is so hard to earn once you mess up. What's even harder to regain is trust. Honestly, Eleanor did more than screw up. She destroyed her reputation, her life, her love. She was left with nothing. But how do you even begin to apologize for killing the father of your husband. How do you apologize for killing a tyrant. Why were emotions so difficult to down. How do you apologize for leaving your husband in the worst way possible.

They sat like civilized people on the couch in Josiah's old home, the television silently playing in the background as a cartoon quietly displayed. Both their faces were blotched with tears as they continued to talk. His hand was on her face, wiping away the tears as she occasionally did the same for him. Their fingers were intertwined as Adam softly rubbed her hand. They sat so close, hugging each other and whispering their apologies.

Adam admitted Eleanor was his father's demise, knowing full well that she hadn't originally believed him when he said the old man died naturally, an unlikely story considering Mr. Carnegie would rather watch the world burn than die. As much as she would've liked to think Karma had it coming for him, it just want true.

He knew the poison she used, he knew the entirety of the process. Of course he knew, he had been looking into the case for almost eight months. They continued to cry into each.

"On the airplane, when I was trying to wake you up..." he took a deep breath, "Eleanor I'm going to be honest with you, I'm so insecure in this relationship and I don't know if you feel that way too, but I love you. I've always loved you and on the plane... while you were asleep..." he couldn't seem to get the words out as she shook her head at him. How hard could it be to tell her

"Adam, I disappeared because I'm a selfish bitch. I deserve to go to jail. I could've saved us so much time just by telling you instead of running away. I couldn't trust you! Adam- you killed our baby and tried to annul our marriage. Adam I loved you and you hurt me so badly- I felt it was right to return that but I was so wrong Adam." She whispered. It was a cascade of unfortunate events as they continued to talk. Unveiling so many aspects of their broken relationship.

"Maybe a break..." she began to suggest as sadness filled his eyes.

The room grew stuffy as Adam shook his head. His hair had gotten slightly longer than before, now reaching just below his ears and shaking along with him.

"You don't understand Eleanor..."

Neither could finish their sentences as hiccups and tears would do that for them.

The doorbell suddenly rang and Adam stood up to answer it.

"Adam wait." Eleanor tossed him a pair of sweatpants that was left on the couch from god-knows-how-long ago.

He quietly slipped on the pants and went to open the door for the Saturday morning visitors. He took a deep breath before opening the door.

Before Adam got a chance to greet the four men at the door, they each pulled out a badge and a search warrant and walked into Josiah's home. Three of them approached the couch that Eleanor was on, her eyes puffy from tears that matched those on Adam's face.

"Eleanor Carnegie, you're under arrest for the murder of Hank Carnegie and the falsification of your death. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." One man recited, pulling out handcuffs and wrapping them around her wrists. Eleanor's eyes filled with tears and shock as she searched the room. The four men had taken control over Josiah's quaint home. There were three men around her, one holding a taser in his hand in case she had decided to make a run for it. She stood breathlessly, panting in fear as her eyes searched for Adam. She spotted him, still standing by the door, talking to one of the men as the other three began to drag her out. She shouted his name, asking for help, but he refused to look her way as they stuffed her into the car.

Another man walked over to Adam and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Thank you, Mr. Carnegie."

********
So...

I'm sorry about this cliffhanger, but I haven't tortured you with one of those in a while. Haha, updates coming soon.

~V