Chapter 19: Eleanor Undead

Adam was M.I.A. For those that don't know, it means he was missing in action and Magdalene was infuriated.

She'd called him twice per day to ask where he was, what he was doing, who he was with. But he had only answered one time within the first few days and then stopped answering all together.

She bit her nails- something she hadn't done since childhood- and anxiously sat, awaiting her parents return. They were supposed to go to her wedding- the wedding that wouldn't happen.

She felt vulnerable and humiliated. She always believed she came second in Adam's life- especially when he refused to return her 'I love you's' and you'd think he cared.

Magdalene wanted a love like the one he had with Eleanor- but there was no business contract binding them together- nothing but her desire to be with him. And her hope that he returned that desire.

Maybe it was too soon, maybe she shouldn't have decided to make her move on him that early. Magdalene groaned, she wanted to see him- or at least hear his sexy voice. But all she got was silence and a message that sent her straight to voicemail.

What if he was abducted, what if something awful happened to her fiancé. She contemplated for a moment, wanting to find him, but not wanting to alert the authorities or the rest of the world.

If he was on a business trip, she wondered where and with who. She felt jealous and used as she stood up and threw her phone out of her second story bedroom window. She heard it shatter on the sidewalk outside and she rushed downstairs to search for something. What she was searching for- she did not know. But once she found it, she'd use it to... hmm... she didn't even know.

Magdalene ran back upstairs and lay on her bed until sleep took over her body.

¤¤¤

Shocked wouldn't even have begun to describe the way Adam felt. He felt morbid about what Josiah had just implied. Was he saying that Eleanor decided to disguise herself as this Bree Walker. How had Adam not recognized it was her? He had spoken with her and her eerily familiar voice. Was he so blinded by her death that he neglected to realize he was looking at her the entire time. He wondered if she was still disguised as Bree Walker or if she had changed herself altogether.

What kind of sick joke was Josiah trying to play?! Upon hearing those words, Adam had made a jump for Josiah's throat, angrily wrapping his fists around it. He was like an animal.

"Don't play with me like that!" He shouted as Josiah choked. Fire burned in Adam's eyes as he glared.

"It's... T... True!" Adam's harsh grip loosened. He fell on the ground, anger flickered in his eyes as a new thought filled his mind.

"Why? She has the whole world believing she died. She had me believing she died. Where did she go? What did... why doesn't she want to be found. Why would she do something like that?!"

"Look Mr. Carnegie, I don't know. She walked all the way here a few months ago and she and I drove to New Jersey a month ago. She left. She disappeared. I have no idea where she went. She took a couple hundred dollars..."

Adam zoned out- he had no patience for Josiah's story telling. His mind kept wandering to how true Zac's theory had been. He could rehire the man and have him find Eleanor. Obviously she wasn't Bree Walker anymore.

She could be a billion people, she could be out of the country for all he knew. He was confused why she would do that when they had been so happy together. And if she wasn't, he could have divorced.

"When I came back she was gone." Josiah finished. Adam couldn't move. Couldn't breathe. Couldn't feel.

It physically hurt him that she disappeared from his life. It physically hurt him to think about her, but mostly- it hurt to think of the reasons behind her choices. The reasons why she did what she did.